Представительство Всемирной Ассоциации Традиционного Винг Чунь Кунг Фу в Украине и по СНГ
Representative Office of the World Wing Chun Kung Fu Association in Ukraine and CIS

Essentials of martial arts

Начать новую тему   Ответить на тему    Список форумов Wing Chun -> Wing Chun Practice
Essentials of martial arts
Автор Сообщение
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 17.02.2015, 16:00    Заголовок сообщения: Essentials of martial arts Ответить с цитатой

Looking for ways to balance, I stumbled on an article about the essential parts of martial arts. Here is an excerpt:

Цитата:
An integrated view of a martial art is one where a practitioner is in the center of a balanced interconnection of
essential elements. These essentials are:

1) Conditioning (stretching, body development);
2) Footwork (stepping and stances);
3) Physical Technique (Punching, Kicking, Grappling, Joint-Locking);
4) Chi & Nei Gung (internal training, proper breathing);
5) Forms (traditional juxtapositioning of postures and movements);
6) Meditation (spiritual development);
7) Self Defense (strategy); and
8) History (cultural development and context).
Only with the existence of these essential elements is a martial art system complete.

Each of these essentials unfolds from the other and exists in a harmonious balance in relationship to each other. When these eight essentials are integrated together (experienced as a whole chain), they form a synergistic network that can be experienced as more than just the sum of its parts. The feedback generated between the elements gives rise to an intelligence that speaks directly to the practitioner. He/she can measure his/her performance, development, and growth in the system by measuring the degree to which there is over or under emphasis on each of the elements. When balance is achieved, one finds his/herself in the optimal center and is at one with the system. The practitioner becomes the embodiment of the essential elements and thus able to directly transmit the systemþs ways and rules.

--

Without proper Conditioning, one lacks strength, stamina, and limberness, leading to debilitating wear. Without proper Footwork, one lacks stability, grace, and mobility, making balance and maneuverability difficult. Without proper Physical Technique, one lacks power, speed, and skill, leading to defeat. Without Chi/Nei Gung, one lacks internal energy, health, and spirit, making for improper breathing and weakening of the organs. Without proper Forms, one lacks beauty, agility, and ability, leading to waste. Without Meditation, one lacks serenity, vision, and insight, making doubt and confusion. Without proper Self Defense, one lacks protection, confidence, and drive, leading to fear. Without History, one lacks purpose, instruction, knowledge, and culture, making ignorance.

What do you think about these points? Thank you!

For me, these make very much sense because you cannot train just balance or just power. There is no purpose
to have just one if I want to keep going for a long time. For me, conditioning is also the base which need to be taken
care of not to just fall from exhaustion.

The culture point was interesting. The article does not define which culture it means, but it makes sense to know
the history of any culture you are connected to, was it martial arts, your own profession or that of your country, I think.

You may read the whole article here: http://www.bgtent.com/naturalcma/CMAarticle1.htm

Посмотреть профиль Отправить личное сообщение
Артем Лысенко
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 17.02.2015, 22:34    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Very good list, as for me. The only thing i would add ist "to learn to give". And this to consider closer in every spere of the life: on the training - to give away all of the attantion on the opponent (to control his actions and to follow him in the learning process), outside of the training hall - to spread kindness and readiness to help to other people, in the family - to give away all of ones love. And so on   
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 18.02.2015, 18:23    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Good point Кот. For me giving and taking need to go hand in hand. It is energy, and that energy is not good if stored in
my body for a long time. When I sometimes feel out of place, it is a sign that I have not given enough. Dear forum users,
what are your thoughts?   

Артем Лысенко
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 18.02.2015, 23:44    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Sure,they go hand in hand.just like the ying-yan principle,it's a part of one element-me. As our Sifu always says: you can't take,if you haven't gave anything before that.offten a full buttle of water appears before my eyes,one cannot fill it out further,because it's already full.first you have to seep a little bit   
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 20.02.2015, 17:49    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Yes, and it's easier to take some of the water away than buy new buttles all the time Very Happy   
Faroth

СообщениеДобавлено: 01.04.2015, 12:41    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Thank you both for good ideas.

Most of the essentials on the list can be trained on knowing what to train and why, but historical part is mostly reading so it must be studied with different kind of focus.

No quite sure why I should study history when I'm just now learning to live at the present.   

Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 12.04.2015, 21:16    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Faroth писал(а):
No quite sure why I should study history when I'm just now learning to live at the present.

You can think of it this way: If you want to go on a journey, you can plan it based on experiences of other journeys. Past can tell us tales about the present as well, and that experience is written in history. (At least some of it, because that is just one opinion of what has happened.)

If you want to use it and how, though, is up to you. Cool   

Начать новую тему   Ответить на тему    Список форумов Wing Chun -> Wing Chun Practice Часовой пояс: GMT + 2
Страница 1 из 1

© 2010 Украинское Представительство Всемирной Винг Чунь Кунг Фу Ассоциации. Все права защищены.