Представительство Всемирной Ассоциации Традиционного Винг Чунь Кунг Фу в Украине и по СНГ
Representative Office of the World Wing Chun Kung Fu Association in Ukraine and CIS

Kotodama - the power of names

Начать новую тему   Ответить на тему    Список форумов Wing Chun -> Wing Chun community
Kotodama - the power of names
Автор Сообщение
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 15.02.2014, 19:33    Заголовок сообщения: Kotodama - the power of names Ответить с цитатой

In Japanese tradition there is a strong believe that use of words and especially names can affect the environment and the person itself.
This believe is called kotodama, literally translated to "word spirit/soul".

There is indeed a difference if I name my working partner partner or opponent, and the like. But the extreme believe means, that I can name a base ball bat to a steel cutting sword, and cut through steel with it. Or that If I know someones name I have power over him or her.

To me the extremes sound like a fairy tail. I cannot see how they could work out. But what do you think, forum participants? Could it be possible in some sense to alter the world with words only? Thank you in advance Smile   

Посмотреть профиль Отправить личное сообщение
Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 18.02.2014, 02:23    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

I think words are a powerful tool if they are used with awareness. It's also important that others understand what we say. This means we should express ourselves so that we are understood easily. Simple language is a sign of good knowledge of a subject and also a well-structured mind. Complicated sentences speak for themselves Smile

So why not name things for what they are? Wink If you call someone next to you a partner, it means you want to collaborate. Positive thoughts are proven to make one feel better, especially if connected with positive actions. And so on...   

https://www.facebook.com/TraditionalWingChunOulu   
Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 18.02.2014, 11:00    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

I guess with words you can warp someone's idea of an object so completely that (s)he will believe that your baseball bat is a steel sword and since brain is a very complicated thing it can react to the blow from the bat as if it was from sword. There are many inexplicable things about our cognitive system...

So it's always better to use appropriate words, that convey what exactly you want to say. Or use the words that have more or less the same meaning to you and the person you're talking to. And with words you can change your attitude to something or someone.   

Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 19.02.2014, 12:37    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Haveunique писал(а):
)So why not name things for what they are? Wink If you call someone next to you a partner, it means you want to collaborate. Positive thoughts are proven to make one feel better, especially if connected with positive actions. And so on...

Or would it be better to name them something you want them to be? I had this thing with opponent-partner words, and am now changing it to partners because I want to work together Smile

Same thing actually when naming a child, someone who might not yet have attributes when giving the name. Children named Mimi and Rita are used to a different tone of their 'existence' and therefore might grow up to be different personalities just by that difference.   

Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 20.02.2014, 22:14    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Haveunique писал(а):
If you cannot explain something, Milla, you don't know it.

I have been thinking about this: it is very much based on language. What if you do not know any language, and there fore cannot explain the thing? How can you know that you can explain it, that you are using the right words? Thank you!

I usually rely on this with feelings: when I feel the words are right, they just are. There might bee some change in the situation so the feeling may change, but it's part of learning more and more. Smile   

Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 24.02.2014, 15:57    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Talking about feeling the right words... And how we decide which word is correct or right in the context...

I caught myself the other day when I wanted to express something that I do know that I know the word I want to use but I don't remember which language is it. It was strange, because we were talking in Russian and the word I was trying to remember turned out to be in English. But talking about words... My idea of how we chose them:

We hear people talking, TV, radio, we're reading books. And when we know the language on more or less good level, we subconciously remember phrases and situations in which they are used. So whenever we're in the same situation (or we think it's the same) these words we heard/read come to the forefront. On the other side, there are situations (at least it happens to me) that I remember the general idea of how the word is pronounced and that it means what I want to convey, but I don't remember the exact way to say/spell it. And in this situation I either use synonims (which may not be the best to describe what I want to say) or I some other completely different word (which may have absolutely nothing to do whith what I wanted to say but sound alike). So things happen. And sometimes they end up hilarious.

So I agree about feeling your words. If they feel right, it means that you were in the alike situation when this word was used.   

Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 24.02.2014, 22:14    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Good points Irene.

I remember some cases where I have used foreign language and without thinking of what words to use, the right ones have popped up when I needed them. Even though I did not know I knew them. Sometimes I even need to check them from the dictionary to be sure. But I guess they come from the subconscious, like you said Irene - I have just heard/seen them somewhere before.   

Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 25.02.2014, 00:44    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Procyona писал(а):
Sometimes I even need to check them from the dictionary to be sure.

Indeed it happens Wink And the feeling when you use a word or phrase and then stop and think "What the heck did I just say?!?" Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy   

Начать новую тему   Ответить на тему    Список форумов Wing Chun -> Wing Chun community Часовой пояс: GMT + 2
Страница 1 из 1

© 2010 Украинское Представительство Всемирной Винг Чунь Кунг Фу Ассоциации. Все права защищены.