Представительство Всемирной Ассоциации Традиционного Винг Чунь Кунг Фу в Украине и по СНГ
Representative Office of the World Wing Chun Kung Fu Association in Ukraine and CIS

Wing Chun Oaths and Codes of Conduct

Начать новую тему   Ответить на тему    Список форумов Wing Chun -> Wing Chun Practice
Wing Chun Oaths and Codes of Conduct
Автор Сообщение
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 11.12.2013, 13:22    Заголовок сообщения: Wing Chun Oaths and Codes of Conduct Ответить с цитатой

Dear forum participants,

in Wing Chuns history, there has been a code of conduct by Ip Man (see the picture), and also another one in Grandmasters website (http://www.cheungswingchun.ashop.com.au/g/933/oath.html). The latter is like this:

Цитата:
We will train our hearts and bodies for a firm, unshaking spirit.

We will pursue the true meaning of the martial way so that in time our senses may be alert.

With true vigour, we will seek to cultivate a spirit of self-denial.

We will observe the rules of courtesy, respect our superiors and refrain from violence.

We will pay homage to our creator and never forget the true virtue of humility.

We will look upwards to wisdom and strength, not seeking other desires.

All our lives, through the disciplines of Wing Chun we will seek to fulfil the true meaning of the way.

So I wonder: Is this only a matter of past or do we have an oath like this in our school? More over, what is the meaning of oaths in general? Thank you!

I think oaths can be great tools to unify groups. They define the way the group works or what it works for. Because it's an oath, one kind of promise, it binds the one saying it. So it would be always given with great care, and not to take lightly. At least that is how I feel about them.

When you have given an oath, it also becomes your guideline - a way to work and way to be. I can of cource work by a code without stating it officially, but then again, for me it would not be as efficient. Oath is a matter of inside motivation becoming and outside motivation.   

Посмотреть профиль Отправить личное сообщение
Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 12.12.2013, 15:24    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Thank you, Milla. The Academy students gave oaths at certain events. If I remember correctly, it was when I got my white sach. The official ceremony has a meaning, of course. However, I trust my Teacher who maintains that it's not about the ceremonies but about your sincere desire to follow any guidelines you find fitting with your values. I understand your wish to participate in a ceremony, Milla, but following the codes is a personal choice in any case, and is confirmed only by actions and results. With respect and wishes of self-fulfillment.   
https://www.facebook.com/TraditionalWingChunOulu   
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 12.12.2013, 15:30    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Thank you for the information Tetyana. I have to make it binding with something else then Wink   
Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 14.12.2013, 01:52    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

At this point, new students who transfer from beginner's group to elder's group learn the oath by heart and read it in front of everyone present.   
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 15.12.2013, 21:23    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Thank you Irene! Which of the oaths is it, though? Ip Man's?   
Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 22.12.2013, 14:57    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Well, it differs from the one in a picture a little, but it's the one that is on the official Wing Chung Kung Fu membership card. It also has phrases about respecting SiFus, SiHings and fellow students, for example.   
Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 23.12.2013, 12:22    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

The “Wing Chun Rules of Conduct”: Rediscovering Ip Man’s Original Statement on the Philosophy of the Martial Arts.

Translating the Wing Chun Jo Fen

The original text of the Wing Chun Jo Fen still hangs at the Hong Kong Ving Tsun Athletic Association (VTAA) school. As such it is well attested. More difficult is settling on a suitable English language translation. For our purposes I am providing two translations of the text below. I think it is useful to compare and contrast at least two different English language versions of the Jo Fen to get a better sense of what points the original is driving at. Neither translation attempts to be a pure mechanical rendering. Instead both translators made some editorial decisions in how they rendered the Jo Fen in line with their understanding of the meaning of the text.

The top line of text (marked SK) is a translation by Samuel Kwok, originally published in his book Mastering Wing Chun: the Keys to Ip Man’s Kung Fu published with Tony Massengill in 2007. Generally speaking this is my preferred translation. The second translation (marked RH) is taken from Ip Ching, Ron Heimberger and Eric Myers, Ving Tsun Jo Fen: Expectations and Guidance from the Ving Tsun Tradition published in 2006. This is also a clear translation with some interesting readings of the text. Together these two different approaches provide a comprehensive look at the original.

Figure 1: Ip Man’s Wing Chun Jo Fen

1. (SK) Remain disciplined – uphold yourself ethically as a martial artist
1. (RH) Discipline yourself to the Rules: Keep Sacred the Martial Morality

2. (SK) Practice courtesy and righteousness – serve the community and honor your family
2. (RH) Understand Propriety and Righteousness: Love your Country and Respect Your Parents

3. (SK) Love your fellow students or classmates – be united and avoid conflicts
3. (RH) Love Your Classmates: Enjoy Working Together as a Group

4. (SK) Limit your desires and pursuit of bodily pleasures – preserve the proper spirit
4. (RH) Control Your Desire: Stay Healthy

5. (SK) Train diligently and make it a habit – never let the skill leave your body
5. (RH) Work Hard and Keep Practicing: Never Let the Skill Leave Your Body

6. (SK) Learn to develop spiritual tranquility – abstain from arguments and fights
6. (RH) Learn How to Keep the Energy: Quit Inciting a Fighting Attitude.

7. (SK) Participate in society – be conservative, cultured and gentle in your manners
7. (RH) Always Deal with World Matters with a Kind Attitude that is Calm and Gentle.

8. (SK) Help the weak and the very young – use your martial skill for the good of humanity
8. (RH) Help the Elderly and the Children: Use the Martial Mind to Achieve “Yan”

9. (SK) Pass on the tradition – preserve the Chinese arts and its Rules of Conduct
9. (RH) Follow the Former Eight Rules: Hold to the Ancestors’ Rules Sincerely.   

Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 25.12.2013, 16:33    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Procyona писал(а):
Thank you Irene! Which of the oaths is it, though? Ip Man's?

I finally found it Smile I was 100% sure I saw it somewhere on our web-site but I couldn't remember where exactly Smile

It's at the bottom of the first page of [url]wcau.com.ua[/url]:

Цитата:
Oath: I believe that constant practice of the Traditional Wing Chun art will enable me to transcend to higher mental and physical level. I shall respect for the Art, Grandmaster Cheung, my SiFu, Sihings and Sidais. I shall employ my utmost tolerance and consideration when dealing with people and matters inside and outside of the Academy.

Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 27.12.2013, 22:16    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Thank you so much Irene, you have been a great help! :)

Seems indeed that the Ip mans code have many translations, one just have to choose the one that best fits ones view, I guess. ;)

Начать новую тему   Ответить на тему    Список форумов Wing Chun -> Wing Chun Practice Часовой пояс: GMT + 2
Страница 1 из 1

© 2010 Украинское Представительство Всемирной Винг Чунь Кунг Фу Ассоциации. Все права защищены.