Представительство Всемирной Ассоциации Традиционного Винг Чунь Кунг Фу в Украине и по СНГ
Representative Office of the World Wing Chun Kung Fu Association in Ukraine and CIS

Do you believe people are good or bad?

На страницу 1, 2  След.
Начать новую тему   Ответить на тему    Список форумов Wing Chun -> Wing Chun community
Do you believe people are good or bad?
Автор Сообщение
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 09.12.2013, 12:42    Заголовок сообщения: Do you believe people are good or bad? Ответить с цитатой

Some people say that any person is either good or bad. Some say that people are all bad, or all good. Some say they are neither, or that the question of morality is absurb on itself.

Dear forummates, what is your opinion on this? What do good and bad mean, and how are they conneted to people? Thank you.

I do not believe that people can be either good or bad. I know, there are murderers, and those who are considered to be saints. But saying that they are good or bad is only my opinion on how they affect toward me, or the society - do they help or cause distraction. And it comes from their actions.

The actions, how ever cannot be good or bad, because in diffrent situations the outcome changes. They are either suitable or not suitable for the goals they have in mind. But is a choice good because of it's outcome? I do not think so, for that we cannot control.

Hypothetically the goal of a murderer and a saint can be the same - they may want to be happy. How they seek to achieve that goal just differs.

Personally, I don't like to use either word (good or bad). They don't have that much informational value to a conversation, only emotion, and not so detailed at that either.   

Посмотреть профиль Отправить личное сообщение
Andrei

СообщениеДобавлено: 19.01.2014, 02:35    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Hi Procyona.
Nice to meet you.

As Gandhi said "Hate the sin and not the sinner". Interesting point of view, I understand it that all people are nice, but unfortunately sometimes make bad things and we should remember if we don't like those things, not to identify people and sins that they've made.

Unfortunately, me personally could not always remember this principle. But want to.   

Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 19.01.2014, 17:39    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Hi Andrei, nice to meet you too. You can also call me Milla, if you wish Smile

Andrei писал(а):
we should remember if we don't like those things, not to identify people and sins that they've made.

Good point, but don't the good things work just the same? Thank you!

In my humble opinion, a person cannot be identified from his past actions, were they good or bad. Every person changes all the time. Even though it's nice to look back to what someone has achieved, but when dealing with that person, it is only what he or she does now that matters.   

Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 29.01.2014, 00:07    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

I agree on both points, people aren't good or bad per se. But their actions can be judged towards ourselves or society. So for someone this action is good, for someone it's bad. Maybe their decisions may not seem right from our point of view, but again, they can be beneficial for someone else.

And I agree on not judging anyone basing on his/her previous actions. Since we don't know what made them do what they did and I do believe that people change (there are some exceptions to this rule, of course), so evaluating only current actions is fair.   

Художник

СообщениеДобавлено: 29.01.2014, 01:40    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

i think its all depends on perception - lens inside us. we watching the world throught it. we decide - good or bad.

as i read somewhere in the web - all people are good when you met them first time.they can became bad as far as you know them.   

Andrei

СообщениеДобавлено: 29.01.2014, 11:21    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Procyona писал(а):

Good point, but don't the good things work just the same?

I haven't even thought of it. You are right, I think we can not be sure that a man is good if he even does good things...   

Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 29.01.2014, 18:54    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

I agree with you on this, it is very personal matter. Whether something is good or bad is just an poinion. That said, it's interestingly though that in most societys there are common rules and morals that are not accepted. Like that mentioned murder or stealing. Although it depends from the society in question, as some ancient tribes in Amazon or such might have it diffrently. I guess any bigger group of humans needs to accept certain rules in order to work together. These rules then become their moral code for common good and bad.   
Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 30.01.2014, 11:51    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Procyona писал(а):
Even though it's nice to look back to what someone has achieved, but when dealing with that person, it is only what he or she does now that matters.
Those who forget their past are doomed to repeat their mistakes )))) Being here and now of course is very important! But I wouldn't say what people did doesn't matter any more... It's a different point that we better react to what is happening now but the past has been, so why ignore it.   
https://www.facebook.com/TraditionalWingChunOulu   
Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 30.01.2014, 11:54    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Gra-ach писал(а):
And I agree on not judging anyone basing on his/her previous actions. Since we don't know what made them do what they did and I do believe that people change (there are some exceptions to this rule, of course), so evaluating only current actions is fair.
Maybe it's not about judging... Our past makes us who we are, so it matters. However, now we create what later will be our past. I think it's important to come to clear terms with what to do with past and right now. Choosing one over another too much is disbalance, in my opinion.   
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 30.01.2014, 22:43    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Haveunique писал(а):
Those who forget their past are doomed to repeat their mistakes )))) Being here and now of course is very important! But I wouldn't say what people did doesn't matter any more... It's a different point that we better react to what is happening now but the past has been, so why ignore it.

Point on that, but if people are always changing anyway, then the past does not really help on reacting in present, doesn't it? Yes, past tells where the person has come and how far he has traveled, but it should not alter the way we deal with them in the present.   

Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 03.02.2014, 18:08    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Haveunique писал(а):
Our past makes us who we are, so it matters. However, now we create what later will be our past. I think it's important to come to clear terms with what to do with past and right now. Choosing one over another too much is disbalance, in my opinion.

Yes, the past does matter, I don't deny it - whatever we are right this moment is the product of our experience. But I think it's wrong to assess people basing on the past, or future for that matter. It's essential to deal with what's done now. Of course in this case you may understand reasons better if you know the history and reasoning (which are past).   

Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 03.02.2014, 22:49    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Gra-ach писал(а):
I think it's wrong to assess people basing on the past, or future for that matter.

Nice of you to mention the future Irene Smile I understand that past is the deeds done, but how is the future seen in the person? Thank you!   

Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 04.02.2014, 00:28    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

I meant more in the way of potential to become someone, how we imagine this person can turn out to be later. Like you know it's said that women make a mistake of falling in love not with the actual man, but with his potential Very Happy

So it's like we have a picture in our mind that has past (things which were already done) and several (or one) direction for future (like what we expect a person do or say) and we don't react to what's going on, but to what we have in our imagination.   

Последний раз редактировалось: Gra-ach (05.02.2014, 16:29), всего редактировалось 1 раз
Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 04.02.2014, 12:13    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

It seems a reality check is really good to have any time people start being "good" or "bad" Smile Who are we to estimate? Don't we see things as good or bad according to our understanding and values? Or even misunderstanding sometimes? What is good for you, may be not so for me, and vice versa. It's true, we've learned to live based on such assumptions. Part of the learning is not only let the assumptions go away but also rationalize our choice. So when we stop imagining past and future interpretations, what should we use as the base of our action instead?

I think it's not only seeing what we do and what others do. It's also knowing why we do stuff and for what, and also learning why people do what they do.   

Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 06.02.2014, 12:39    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Thank you for the question Tetyana Smile I agree with you, the reason 'why' people do things tells much more of the action than the actual 'what' they do. If I want to be part of the action depends on what it is worth for me.   
Начать новую тему   Ответить на тему    Список форумов Wing Chun -> Wing Chun community Часовой пояс: GMT + 2
На страницу 1, 2  След.
Страница 1 из 2

© 2010 Украинское Представительство Всемирной Винг Чунь Кунг Фу Ассоциации. Все права защищены.