Представительство Всемирной Ассоциации Традиционного Винг Чунь Кунг Фу в Украине и по СНГ
Representative Office of the World Wing Chun Kung Fu Association in Ukraine and CIS

What is talent?

На страницу Пред.  1, 2, 3  След.
Начать новую тему   Ответить на тему    Список форумов Wing Chun -> Personal growth
What is talent?
Автор Сообщение
Артем Лысенко
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 11.11.2013, 18:25    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Skywalker писал(а):
I think that loosing talent is almost impossible (maybe it's just out of my view on what talent is).

I totally agree with you on this pointof view. In my oppinion, it is impossible to. Still, one can live conscious or inconscious his talent behind his deeds in life. This is the matter of self understanding and partly honesty to your-self. Sometimes it is just seems to be hard to tell yourself true about your talents, purpose of life and your attitute to yourself and other people. But, that is another topic to discuss:)   

Skywalker

СообщениеДобавлено: 12.11.2013, 01:10    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Procyona писал(а):
Skywalker писал(а):
And I think that talent is different from skill, one can be skilled but not talented and one can be talented but have no skill (in case he hadn't dealt with the activity enough).

Interesting point Skywalker. What do you mean by skill and how does it differ from talent?

By skill I mean actual ability to make or perform something. It's your ability to act effectively, to do the activity and get what you want to.
It obviously differs from talent. =)
Skywalker писал(а):
My definition for talent is
"A natural feature of a person that makes it easy and simple (for him/her) to succeed in particular area or activity (or more easy and simple than it usually is)".

Skywalker писал(а):
...talent in fact is simply affinity to the activity (that is rather strong). And that's enough for the person to "succeed in it easily" and to "be involved with all one's soul and mind".

Кот писал(а):
Still, one can live conscious or inconscious his talent behind his deeds in life. This is the matter of self understanding and partly honesty to your-self. Sometimes it is just seems to be hard to tell yourself true about your talents, purpose of life and your attitute to yourself and other people. But, that is another topic to discuss:)

true =)   
Посмотреть профиль Отправить личное сообщение
Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 12.11.2013, 21:03    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Кот писал(а):
I totally agree with you on this pointof view. In my oppinion, it is impossible to. Still, one can live conscious or inconscious his talent behind his deeds in life. This is the matter of self understanding and partly honesty to your-self. Sometimes it is just seems to be hard to tell yourself true about your talents, purpose of life and your attitute to yourself and other people. But, that is another topic to discuss:)
Well, it seems indeed difficult, it's like looking into the future and seeing who you will become once you have developed your talents... who isn't scared of that? If you aren't, please share your secret Smile share your thoughts anyway... how are you discovering your talents? I feel like I am on my way discovering mine as so far the process seems neither easy nor effortless Very Happy   

https://www.facebook.com/TraditionalWingChunOulu   
Skywalker

СообщениеДобавлено: 13.11.2013, 15:30    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Well, one simple way to discover talents I know is just trying different activities, getting your wins there and looking at them.   
Валентина Слободянюк
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 14.11.2013, 14:17    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Talent - it's when you do not afraid to show what you really are. talented people are talented in all what they do (or most of what they do).   
Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 15.11.2013, 12:46    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

To rephrase famous poet, talent is the recovery of childhood at will. Meaning kids are very openminded and open in general, and they don't care what other people think, so they are eager to show what they can do, they don't know the limits yet. Which makes them invent things and do things that they like to do. And this is talent - when you do something you like and usually if you like it then you do it very well Wink   
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 15.11.2013, 16:18    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Skywalker писал(а):
By skill I mean actual ability to make or perform something. It's your ability to act effectively, to do the activity and get what you want to. It obviously differs from talent. =)

I see talent as perfection of skill, so to me they do not differ that much Smile   

nmrt

СообщениеДобавлено: 16.11.2013, 12:53    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

As very talented person myself, I think that it's a myth. Either it doesn't
exist or we all have it. As they say: talent is 10% of success (or so),
remaining part is work.

On a side note, your desire to do something has nothing to do with talent,
IMHO. Also, the amount of effort required strongly depends on desire. As wise
Chinese monk once said: if you want to become a master you'll need 15 years,
but if you really want it, you'll need 30 years.

And to finish this motivational speech, I would suggest to stop caring about
talent (or lack thereof). It's passion, perseverance etc. that win after all.

;)
Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 18.11.2013, 11:22    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

nmrt писал(а):
On a side note, your desire to do something has nothing to do with talent, IMHO.

Why so? Hasn't it been proven that children show just desire to do things and when they keep doing something they may turn into talented people?
nmrt писал(а):
Also, the amount of effort required strongly depends on desire
So you are saying the desire and amount of work are not connected?

To move on from this point, Wing Chun is known for its effect on those very same talents... it helps people discover and develop them. How have your experiences been with Wing Chun and your talents, dear forum mates? Especially our nmrt, who is already very aware of his/her talents?   

Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 20.11.2013, 18:54    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Even though I have found my ambicion, I'm not so sure about my own talents. But - The thing I have found most comforting is the power of will: I can do what ever I believe I can. I don't need talent to become skilled. Smile   
nmrt

СообщениеДобавлено: 23.11.2013, 16:59    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Haveunique писал(а):
Hasn't it been proven that children show just desire to do things and when they keep doing something they may turn into talented people?

Who and when has proven that?
And, there is nothing in your statement showing dependency between desire and talent.
People may as well be interested without it.
Also, I think that you've meant: they may turn into skillful (not talented) people.
There is a difference: talent implies bonus (from gods, nature, stars etc.), while skill involves actual work.
So, you can't become talented, you either are from the moment of birth, or you are not (and will never be).
Which is complete bullshit in my view, we are all talented in whatever we wanna be.
To summarize: skill depends on desire, talent doesn't (if it's real, that is).
I would like to bring Einstein into our discussion (hopefully, he doesn't mind):
Einstein писал(а):
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer.

Haveunique писал(а):
So you are saying the desire and amount of work are not connected?

Well, exactly the opposite. ;)
You will need to do the impossible, if you want to achieve something outstanding.
And you'd better not rely on talent, since it won't help you much (or at all).
Just do what you love and do it hard.

Haveunique писал(а):
Wing Chun is known for its effect on those very same talents... it helps people discover and develop them.

I am extremely interested how does Wing Chung specifically help with that?
I'd say, it keeps me focused and motivated, as any physical activity does (OK, maybe a bit more :P).

PS I am male, real name is Artem, you can call me RT (pronounced `Artie) if you want. :)
nmrt

СообщениеДобавлено: 23.11.2013, 17:17    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Procyona писал(а):
Even though I have found my ambition, I'm not so sure about my own talents. But - The thing I have found most comforting is the power of will: I can do what ever I believe I can. I don't need talent to become skilled. :)

Please, forget about talent!
History has proven zillion of times, it doesn't matter.
Excuse me for not providing any references, just search for motivational videos on YouTube for example... ;)
You are on the right track with the power of will, just keep going and, after losing all hope and one more step, you'll get there!
Good luck!
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 24.11.2013, 18:39    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

nmrt писал(а):
Procyona писал(а):
Even though I have found my ambition, I'm not so sure about my own talents. But - The thing I have found most comforting is the power of will: I can do what ever I believe I can. I don't need talent to become skilled. Smile

Please, forget about talent!
History has proven zillion of times, it doesn't matter.
Excuse me for not providing any references, just search for motivational videos on YouTube for example... Wink
You are on the right track with the power of will, just keep going and, after losing all hope and one more step, you'll get there!
Good luck!

Thank you nmrt, for the encouragement! Smile

But I still beg to differ with the talent question. Even though talent is not needed to get something, it definitely exists and does matter. But talent is based on time - it is the set of skills you have already learned that makes it easy for you to do something you try out for the first time. And also, for it be easy, you need to be able to enjoy the task as well.   

Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 25.11.2013, 17:35    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

nmrt писал(а):
Haveunique писал(а):
Wing Chun is known for its effect on those very same talents... it helps people discover and develop them.
I am extremely interested how does Wing Chung specifically help with that? I'd say, it keeps me focused and motivated, as any physical activity does (OK, maybe a bit more Razz). PS I am male, real name is Artem, you can call me RT (pronounced `Artie) if you want. Smile

Nice to learn your name, Artem, I am Tetyana.
"Wing Chun is considered the sensitive artist's kung fu – Bruce Lee was its first celebrity spokesman – because it's all about balance, peace, and, if all else fails, ass-whipping." This is what Men's Health wrote in an article about Robert Downey Jr., one of the people whose names, along with our SiGung and SiFu, are carved in the recently installed marble plate in Shaolin to proclaim Traditional Wing Chun's return to the cradle of Chinese martial arts.
http://www.mensjournal.com/article/print-view/robert-downey-jr-s-cosmic-punishment-20121017

It would be great if you also added some information on the plate installation event to the forum branch http://wcau.com.ua/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5398, it's a huge historical event! Thanks beforehands to all ))))

I'd say it of course depends on how one applies the skills one learns. But Wing Chun, the way our SiFu teaches it in our Academy, helps get rid of as much unnecessary things as we wish and can find in ourselves, and that frees the energy that usually is blocked by unnecessary tensions. So naturally, a person who trains by Traditional Wing Chun principles, sooner or later starts following their desires that appear kind of like from nowhere Smile but in fact those are childhood desires, which have been denied or "blocked" in some way... Smile This is my personal opinion and personal experience, I am not speaking on anyone else's behalf )) Except there is another success story already published on our branch website, which is in my signature Cool So just a bunch of coincidences, it seems =)))

So what is this "a bit more," Artem? Please do tell us Smile   

nmrt

СообщениеДобавлено: 30.11.2013, 14:36    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Haveunique писал(а):
So what is this "a bit more," Artem?

Honestly, Tetyana, it is so small, that I would rather not bore you... ;)

Procyona писал(а):
talent is based on time - it is the set of skills you have already learned

Milla, correct?
I think we are out of sync with terminology. :)
You interpret skills as talent, which some define as opposites.

Цитата:
An aptitude is a component of a competency to do a certain kind of work at a certain level, which can also be considered "talent". Aptitudes may be physical or mental. Aptitude is not knowledge, understanding, learned or acquired abilities (skills) or attitude. The innate nature of aptitude is in contrast to achievement, which represents knowledge or ability that is gained.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aptitude
Начать новую тему   Ответить на тему    Список форумов Wing Chun -> Personal growth Часовой пояс: GMT + 2
На страницу Пред.  1, 2, 3  След.
Страница 2 из 3

© 2010 Украинское Представительство Всемирной Винг Чунь Кунг Фу Ассоциации. Все права защищены.