Представительство Всемирной Ассоциации Традиционного Винг Чунь Кунг Фу в Украине и по СНГ
Representative Office of the World Wing Chun Kung Fu Association in Ukraine and CIS

What is talent?

На страницу 1, 2, 3  След.
Начать новую тему   Ответить на тему    Список форумов Wing Chun -> Personal growth
What is talent?
Автор Сообщение
Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 09.11.2013, 15:32    Заголовок сообщения: What is talent? Ответить с цитатой

This word is used a lot in conversations but what exactly do we mean by saying someone has a talent?

One of the common definitions is "a natural born ability or skill." That sounds right until we try to figure out how to find that talent. Why do some people know their talent and some think they are not talented? Why can this skill be so not obvious despite the fact that it is natural born? How do you know, which of your skills are naturally born? If you know what your main talent(s) is (are), how did you find out? If you were to teach someone to find their talent, how would you do that?

As you can see, a mere honest answer to the fact that I didn't know that the word actually meant brought up all these questions Smile

As I am searching for the answers... any ideas, forum-mates? Thank you!   

https://www.facebook.com/TraditionalWingChunOulu   
Посмотреть профиль Отправить личное сообщение
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 09.11.2013, 17:31    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Wow, a lot of questions. Very Happy   
Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 09.11.2013, 17:49    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Milla, what is your definition? Thank you Very Happy
As far as I got: talent is an inclination towards certain activity that brings the doer the most pleasure and is a way of communicating with others.   

Skywalker

СообщениеДобавлено: 09.11.2013, 21:56    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

My definition for talent is
"A natural feature of a person that makes it easy and simple (for him/her) to succeed in particular area or activity (or more easy and simple than it usually is)".
It is what I've just made up, so don't be to critical if you disagree. Smile   
Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 09.11.2013, 22:14    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Skywalker писал(а):
My definition for talent is "A natural feature of a person that makes it easy and simple (for him/her) to succeed in particular area or activity (or more easy and simple than it usually is)". It is what I've just made up, so don't be to critical if you disagree. Smile
I think the best definition there is for us it's what we consider our own! I have questions... can you please give more detail of what you mean by "easy and simple to suceed". Do they need to work more, or is it something about their personality? How does your definition translate into action? Thank you very much, Skywalker, I am very interested )))))   
Skywalker

СообщениеДобавлено: 09.11.2013, 22:30    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Haveunique писал(а):
I think the best definition there is for us it's what we consider our own! I have questions... can you please give more detail of what you mean by "easy and simple to suceed". Do they need to work more, or is it something about their personality? How does your definition translate into action? Thank you very much, Skywalker, I am very interested )))))

The main idea of being easy and simple to succeed was that talented people need less effort. They might work more (or less), but not necessarily. They get the results not by fighting through a lot of painful efforts (I'm showing the absolutes here) but just by doing what they enjoy to and what would be natural. And usually they get the results faster (here I mean not hours of work but days of life).

Thank you. =) I like your being interested. =)

P.S. So it might be something about their personality rather than "they have to work more".   
Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 09.11.2013, 22:38    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Skywalker писал(а):
The main idea of being easy and simple to succeed was that talented people need less effort. They might work more (or less), but not necessarily. They get the results not by fighting through a lot of painful efforts (I'm showing the absolutes here) but just by doing what they enjoy to and what would be natural. And usually they get the results faster (here I mean not hours of work but days of life). Thank you. =) I like your being interested. =) P.S. So it might be something about their personality rather than "they have to work more".

It really makes me wonder what you mean by this "something about their personality." And actually now I wonder if those people whom I considered talented actually are talented, if I were to use this definition... I am testing your opinion to see if I would agree to it and accept it as my own Smile But so far I cannot... those talents that I know have been literally working their as*es off, at the same time claiming they really enjoy it despite the fact that the efforts are sometimes very painful Very Happy And I cannot remember a case where they would say they get their results faster... faster than whom? Their "faster" gets measured by years and sometimes decades... So such are my thoughts at this point of "talent definition" project Smile   

Артем Лысенко
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 09.11.2013, 22:49    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

In my oppinion to be talanted is to do some kind of activity, or to create but doing this you are involved with all of your soul and mind. It comes directly from your heart and you dont even think of it. It's just like unconscious speeks for itself. The main cretaria is, that you engoy it. And you need less efforts and timeMoreover you keep on seeking possibilities to do it, independent from the place or time you are in to.   
Skywalker

СообщениеДобавлено: 09.11.2013, 23:04    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Haveunique писал(а):
It really makes me wonder what you mean by this "something about their personality." And actually now I wonder if those people whom I considered talented actually are talented, if I were to use this definition... I am testing your opinion to see if I would agree to it and accept it as my own Smile But so far I cannot... those talents that I know have been literally working their as*es off, at the same time claiming they really enjoy it despite the fact that the efforts are sometimes very painful Very Happy And I cannot remember a case where they would say they get their results faster... faster than whom? Their "faster" gets measured by years and sometimes decades... So such are my thoughts at this point of "talent definition" project Smile

"something about their personality" - I was sort of quoting you, you asked a question for me to choose from two, this one was closer to the idea. Smile
My definition is true for me, it might be not true for somebody else, as I told you I made it up an hour ago. =)
One more idea I've got is that people you talk about, talented people, got some results with decades of hard work, but it could be that "not so talented people" didn't get such results at all and so would need even much more time...   

Последний раз редактировалось: Skywalker (09.11.2013, 23:12), всего редактировалось 1 раз
Skywalker

СообщениеДобавлено: 09.11.2013, 23:10    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Кот писал(а):
In my oppinion to be talanted is to do some kind of activity, or to create but doing this you are involved with all of your soul and mind. It comes directly from your heart and you dont even think of it. It's just like unconscious speeks for itself. The main cretaria is, that you engoy it. And you need less efforts and timeMoreover you keep on seeking possibilities to do it, independent from the place or time you are into.

I like your idea. =)
It can be even not just talent but some sort of your purpose in life or the activity that makes one happy.
I'm sure I would be much happier if I were doing something like this all the time, or at least most of the time. =) And perhaps anyone would...   
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 10.11.2013, 16:18    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

I think talent is not an inborn state, but a less unstable definition to ones actions. Like you said, Кот, I believe that talent is something you absolutely enjoy doing, something you have great a passion for. But that is not enough to describe it. A talented person also wants to act according that passion - he enjoys it so much he can spend his life with it and around it. First it is just skill, but with time and practise a talent really can 'be born' into his skin. The persons actions have become a trait his of personality.

But what do you think about loosing ones talent? Is is possible? For my point of view, it is. If you don't use a talent and if you loose the joy in it, it's not a talent anymore.   

Skywalker

СообщениеДобавлено: 11.11.2013, 00:50    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

I think that loosing talent is almost impossible (maybe it's just out of my view on what talent is). And I think that talent is different from skill, one can be skilled but not talented and one can be talented but have no skill (in case he hadn't dealt with the activity enough).

P.S. I've got an idea that talent in fact is simply affinity to the activity (that is rather strong). And that's enough for the person to "succeed in it easily" and to "be involved with all one's soul and mind".   
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 11.11.2013, 10:34    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Skywalker писал(а):
And I think that talent is different from skill, one can be skilled but not talented and one can be talented but have no skill (in case he hadn't dealt with the activity enough).

Interesting point Skywalker. What do you mean by skill and how does it differ from talent?   

Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 11.11.2013, 10:37    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

I agree with Skywalker, one cannot lose talent but it is possible to develop and realize it or not. So are you, Milla, implying realization of a talent? Because if we stick to the definition that it is a natural born skill, it comes "with the package" Smile   
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 11.11.2013, 15:38    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Haveunique писал(а):
So are you, Milla, implying realization of a talent? Because if we stick to the definition that it is a natural born skill, it comes "with the package" Smile

That is the thing: I don't believe a talent or a skill can be naturally born. There might be tendencies towards them, but they are not anything until some work is done, and the talent or skill is actually used. It does not matter how much, or when, but the tendency becomes a talent only when it is in use. It is not the same as realization, because you can use a talent even thought you are not aware of it.   

Начать новую тему   Ответить на тему    Список форумов Wing Chun -> Personal growth Часовой пояс: GMT + 2
На страницу 1, 2, 3  След.
Страница 1 из 3

© 2010 Украинское Представительство Всемирной Винг Чунь Кунг Фу Ассоциации. Все права защищены.