Представительство Всемирной Ассоциации Традиционного Винг Чунь Кунг Фу в Украине и по СНГ
Representative Office of the World Wing Chun Kung Fu Association in Ukraine and CIS

What's the meaning of your forum nickname?

Начать новую тему   Ответить на тему    Список форумов Wing Chun -> Wing Chun community
What's the meaning of your forum nickname?
Автор Сообщение
Skywalker

СообщениеДобавлено: 26.10.2013, 23:53    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Procyona писал(а):
You are very welcome Skywalker and thank you as well Very Happy

Off-topic: I like your name Skywalker: seeing it I assosiate Wing Chun to the believe in the force. They are quite similar philosophies when you think of it. Very Happy

Thanks. =))
Well, interesting idea, they really are. =)
I didn't mean anything like that when created the nickname, but like the idea. =)   
Посмотреть профиль Отправить личное сообщение
Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 28.10.2013, 21:58    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

I had to change my nickname at a certain point Smile Here is the story.

The places like forums require a unique name. So when I joined here I thought of my likings and decided to take the name of Greek goddess of victory, Nike (pronounced [nǐːkɛː]). I felt very proud of such an inspiring name until SiFu asked about the meaning and pointed out that a famous image of the remnants of that goddess is actually a statue without a head. I really felt like keeping my head on and with me instead so I changed the nick to the current one. It reminds me about the uniqueness of everyone's predestination Cool Smile And since all those forums ask for a unique name, I just wrote once "have unique" and it stayed every since.   

https://www.facebook.com/TraditionalWingChunOulu   
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 28.10.2013, 22:50    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Headless or not, a goddess is still a goddess. Cool

My nickname comes from of a star installation called Procyon the 'little dog' or 'little wolf' i.e. Canis Minor. First time I used it in one of my own farytales. In it there was a group of people keeping stars and destiny in their right places, and some of them had names taken from starts. One of the characters was called Procyon, and I liked the name so much I took it to myself as an artist name.

Since then I have used the name with many different places from forums to signing drawings, sometimes even with different endings (Procyonä - to have a pawn mark, Procyona - to make it more feminine). Procyon also is the latin name for one Raccoon genus, and Procyon installation also has a star called Procyon A.   

Skywalker

СообщениеДобавлено: 29.10.2013, 01:13    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Haveunique писал(а):
I had to change my nickname at a certain point Smile Here is the story.

The places like forums require a unique name. So when I joined here I thought of my likings and decided to take the name of Greek goddess of victory, Nike (pronounced [nǐːkɛː]). I felt very proud of such an inspiring name until SiFu asked about the meaning and pointed out that a famous image of the remnants of that goddess is actually a statue without a head. I really felt like keeping my head on and with me instead so I changed the nick to the current one. It reminds me about the uniqueness of everyone's predestination Cool Smile And since all those forums ask for a unique name, I just wrote once "have unique" and it stayed every since.

Interesting story. =)
When I was reading it I had an idea that if SiFu hadn't told you that story, you would be happy with the old one and feel happy about it. =)
I don't want to criticize anyone, but still I don't understand what for are such stories told...
IMHO every nickname... For every nickname one can find a "why", why it's not so good. For example, in "Star Wars" the hero who first of all is associated with my nickname betrayed his friends, had almost all his body burned and in fact got not a very happy life. =) So what?) It has no deal with me, my life and why I chose this one. =) At least I'm sure it hasn't. =)

By the way, as a creator of the topic (!!!) I can tell you abut my nickname. =) I chose this one because for me it associates with power, being able to create whatever you can think of, really change things (I mean really change things) in large scape. =) And it associates (for me) with the idea that in fact everything one has in life is what he himself decided to have (I really think so). And I like the sky. =) Also I like the way it sounds. =)
I don't connect it much with the "Star Wars" story, but maybe if I hadn't known it, perhaps I wouldn't have had the idea, that it could be this one. =)[/u]   
Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 29.10.2013, 01:18    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Skywalker писал(а):
By the way, as a creator of the topic (!!!) I can tell you abut my nickname. =)

Thank you! It's a great example for all the topic creators! That's the spirit! Cool   

Skywalker

СообщениеДобавлено: 29.10.2013, 01:20    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Haveunique писал(а):
Skywalker писал(а):
By the way, as a creator of the topic (!!!) I can tell you abut my nickname. =)

Thank you! It's a great example for all the topic creators! That's the spirit! Cool

Thank you, like it. =)
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy   
Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 29.10.2013, 01:20    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Skywalker писал(а):
When I was reading it I had an idea that if SiFu hadn't told you that story, you would be happy with the old one and feel happy about it. =) I don't want to criticize anyone, but still I don't understand what for are such stories told...

Sure, everyone is entitled for their own opinions, and this forum is here exactly for that reason. Which stories make you feel misunderstanding though? Stories about nicknames?   

Skywalker

СообщениеДобавлено: 29.10.2013, 01:24    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Haveunique писал(а):
Skywalker писал(а):
When I was reading it I had an idea that if SiFu hadn't told you that story, you would be happy with the old one and feel happy about it. =) I don't want to criticize anyone, but still I don't understand what for are such stories told...

Sure, everyone is entitled for their own opinions, and this forum is here exactly for that reason. Which stories make you feel misunderstanding though? Stories about nicknames?

Stories that make people feel that something is wrong with them or something they consider is their. To be short (but less precise) - discouraging stories. I don't understand what for such stories are told.   
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 30.10.2013, 11:18    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Skywalker писал(а):
Haveunique писал(а):
Skywalker писал(а):

Stories that make people feel that something is wrong with them or something they consider is their. To be short (but less precise) - discouraging stories. I don't understand what for such stories are told.

Thanks gues for a great talk. Smile It might be just me, but like with the nicknames, isn't it what people want to see in the story? Even the story of Tetyana's nickname can be seen as a encouragement to look for more information and know better what you do. (At least that is how I see it.) Or what do you think?   

Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 30.10.2013, 11:47    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Skywalker писал(а):
Haveunique писал(а):

How about this - it's all the matter of our interpretation and SiFu's words have nothing to do with my decision? I could've as easily kept the nickname if I was completely sure it was the best choice of mine. But considering the fact that I don't believe in compromises, I felt like it is right for me to choose what I believe in wholeheartedly. So Nike didn't stand the test Very Happy I just think it is up to us to see encouragement or discouragement in anything... evenin our own nicknames and how people perceive them.   

Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 30.10.2013, 11:49    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Procyona писал(а):
It might be just me, but like with the nicknames, isn't it what people want to see in the story?

I think it's also nice to see what decisions one made, even it is based on choosing a nickname.   

Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 30.10.2013, 14:14    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Getting back to the topic of stories behind nicknames...
I created mine when I was registering in a forum dedicated to the book series and I wanted to take a nick as a name of my favourite character. Well, he was a guy Smile and it was already used. So I had to come up with something else. And out of all other characters I chose a character which was a good reliable friend, protector and scary predator with a pure heart... So that's it, the story of my nick. And after that I used it almost everywhere.   

Skywalker

СообщениеДобавлено: 31.10.2013, 00:34    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Procyona писал(а):
Thanks gues for a great talk. Smile It might be just me, but like with the nicknames, isn't it what people want to see in the story? Even the story of Tetyana's nickname can be seen as a encouragement to look for more information and know better what you do. (At least that is how I see it.) Or what do you think?

Well...
I read your message and got an interesting idea. =)
I don't know the way it really happened, but anyway the story is just the story. =)
And to change the nickname or not is one's personal choice. It's not the story, who causes it. =)
So you're absolutely right. =)))   
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 31.10.2013, 22:25    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Skywalker писал(а):
I read your message and got an interesting idea. =)
I don't know the way it really happened, but anyway the story is just the story. =)

Very Happy Very Happy Mysterious are the ways of brain.

Skywalker писал(а):
It's not the story, who causes it. =)

Wow, that's great way to state it! Thank you for this insight, Skywalker! Laughing   

Faroth

СообщениеДобавлено: 26.01.2015, 12:13    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

My nick comes from gaming and World of Warcraft to be exact. It's almost ten years ago when I had to make a name for my new Tauren Hunter character and this is what I came up with. Have been using this nick since in various forums and games. Was rather unique nickname back then, but not so much anymore. Cool   
Начать новую тему   Ответить на тему    Список форумов Wing Chun -> Wing Chun community Часовой пояс: GMT + 2
Страница 1 из 1

© 2010 Украинское Представительство Всемирной Винг Чунь Кунг Фу Ассоциации. Все права защищены.