Представительство Всемирной Ассоциации Традиционного Винг Чунь Кунг Фу в Украине и по СНГ
Representative Office of the World Wing Chun Kung Fu Association in Ukraine and CIS

How words shape us

На страницу 1, 2  След.
Начать новую тему   Ответить на тему    Список форумов Wing Chun -> Personal growth
How words shape us
Автор Сообщение
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 29.08.2013, 22:09    Заголовок сообщения: How words shape us Ответить с цитатой

Dear forum mates, in here the international branch of the forum we have talked about the effect lying, and about how to give and receave comments. But what about the exact words we use: How do the words matter, related or non-related to what the message behind the talk?

For instance the word 'no' has quite distinctful meaning on it's own. It's is differnt thing to say that the sky is 'blue', than to say it is 'not red'. Another example would be between phrases 'stay' and 'don't go'. To me the ones with negations are harder to understand immediately, and they are not clear on definitions. (What do I do, when I don't go? What is non-red?) So, with negations confersations become more complex for me. Which is not necessarily a thing to avoid, though Very Happy   

Посмотреть профиль Отправить личное сообщение
Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 30.08.2013, 09:49    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Very interesting topic, Milla! I believe we speak exactly what we want, the matter is if we take full responsibility for it or not. Saying "don't go" actually has the word "go" there, and we hear it, even if together with "don't." Saying "stay" is direct and clear, no questions! Somehow this "don't" and "no" part loses its meaning next to definite expressions and true feelings. What do you think?   
https://www.facebook.com/TraditionalWingChunOulu   
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 31.08.2013, 21:07    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

I have not tought it that way, but indeed: we are the words we use, and the words express the things we want and feel. True feeling may indeed come when we use the most definite expressions.

Also, if you combine these phrases combining 'stay, don't go' or 'don't go, stay' give different expressions as well Very Happy   

Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 25.09.2013, 15:55    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

I have noticed that if I know I have learned a task, I can make it into words. And also, when I voice a tought I had not noticed before, I have learned it at the same moment. If I were for insance learning to balance on one foot, I can either take notion on how the leags feel or not notice it. But if I do, I name the feeling, and so doing learn that it is there.

So, the way learning process is somewhat culture connected, and also a personal experience, as people use different words for things.   

Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 24.10.2013, 11:59    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

An article which is soon going to go live on our web-site but in Russian which concerns the topic.   
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 24.10.2013, 12:23    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Thank you Irene! Nice insights Smile   
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 31.10.2013, 22:14    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Gra-ach писал(а):
Procyona писал(а):
Gra-ach писал(а):
That's the point, not to spend time with people who is for one reason or the other not high in your priorities list. If you have a choice of talking to a friend and share some experience which is interesting for both and gossipping with someone about people you don't know or care, I'd rather do the first. And it's definitely subjective! If I'm not interested in this exact gossip, it doesn't mean that someone else wouldn't enjoy it.

To my mind, it's easier to use more time on people you want to spend time with than to take away it from others.

That's what I'm saying but from different point of view Smile

This made me think about word usage, as I see these statements really different, even though the content is the same.

What do you think: does it matter which way we look at things, and which words we use?

I think that in a large scale, it does. But when you come tinier and tinier details, the change is also smaller. It depends on how much you want to control the words, and how much feel you get out of it.   

nmrt

СообщениеДобавлено: 01.11.2013, 02:43    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Actions shape us even more (if not solely), IMHO.
Speak less, do more! :)

My personal favorite acronym lately is JFDI http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=JFDI.
Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 01.11.2013, 17:18    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Procyona писал(а):
This made me think about word usage, as I see these statements really different, even though the content is the same.

What do you think: does it matter which way we look at things, and which words we use?

I think that in a large scale, it does. But when you come tinier and tinier details, the change is also smaller. It depends on how much you want to control the words, and how much feel you get out of it.

I think it does matter how we look at things and what words we use to describe the reality. Also I think it is still important to use appropriate words to describe things, no matter how detailed your description is. On the other hand when you're answering someone and he stated one point of view, if you agre or disagree with it it's better to use his words for better understanding Smile   

Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 03.11.2013, 19:18    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

nmrt писал(а):
Speak less, do more! Smile My personal favorite acronym lately is JFDI http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=JFDI.
Totally agree. And when it comes to our forum words are actions here Cool   
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 04.11.2013, 18:43    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Gra-ach писал(а):
On the other hand when you're answering someone and he stated one point of view, if you agre or disagree with it it's better to use his words for better understanding Smile

True point, that can lessen misunderstandings, even though the way I see it, every one has a different view of every word, so it's still not exactly the same Very Happy   

nmrt

СообщениеДобавлено: 08.11.2013, 23:46    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Haveunique писал(а):
nmrt писал(а):
Speak less, do more! :) My personal favorite acronym lately is JFDI http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=JFDI.
Totally agree. And when it comes to our forum words are actions here 8)

Are you talking about the "posts per day" counter? ;)
Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 08.11.2013, 23:57    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

nmrt писал(а):
Are you talking about the "posts per day" counter? Wink

If that is the only motivation, I would question it thoroughly Smile Smile   

nmrt

СообщениеДобавлено: 13.11.2013, 04:30    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

No, of course not!
Why would think that? :)
Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 13.11.2013, 13:31    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Forum is an excellent place to practice one's ability to write their thoughts and ideas in many different ways, so it's always nice to see when forum participants also see it that way. It's like doing the First Form - we shape it, it shapes us Smile   
Начать новую тему   Ответить на тему    Список форумов Wing Chun -> Personal growth Часовой пояс: GMT + 2
На страницу 1, 2  След.
Страница 1 из 2

© 2010 Украинское Представительство Всемирной Винг Чунь Кунг Фу Ассоциации. Все права защищены.