Представительство Всемирной Ассоциации Традиционного Винг Чунь Кунг Фу в Украине и по СНГ
Representative Office of the World Wing Chun Kung Fu Association in Ukraine and CIS

Importance of criticism

На страницу 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  След.
Начать новую тему   Ответить на тему    Список форумов Wing Chun -> Wing Chun community
Importance of criticism
Автор Сообщение
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 27.05.2013, 13:58    Заголовок сообщения: Importance of criticism Ответить с цитатой

For instance, you go to have a lunch at a place you usually go to, and the dish you order tastes like rubbich. When someone asks your opinion about it, what would you say?

Sometimes people are too nice to a person who does something they do not like, but do not tell it, or instead even lie that they like it. It's different thing to stay optimistic, and say that they have a long way to go, than to complain about it. But - when you say it's alright, you are not giving them even a change to be better next time, because they do not know you had that opinion. What do you think?   

Посмотреть профиль Отправить личное сообщение
Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 27.05.2013, 14:07    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Interesting topic and interesting way to present it, Milla! Why did you decide to raise this question? Thank you.

There are different ways to say the truth and that alone seems to need courage from people... for fear of being disliked for their truth. Saint-Exupery said it brilliantly in his "Prayer" - "Send me in the right time a person who would tell me the truth but say it lovingly".   

https://www.facebook.com/TraditionalWingChunOulu   
Victor

СообщениеДобавлено: 23.06.2013, 18:32    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Good question for everyone.
I think you should say the person what he/she is doing wrong. Do it without anger, like a teacher. Maybe you should show the way to exclude mistakes the next time.
'Cause if you are telling the person that you "really like the dish", but in fact you don't, you are lying to yourself. Sifu said: "Never lie to yourself! Self-deception is the worst thing you can do."   
Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 24.06.2013, 21:44    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

This is a tough question! I'm all in for constructive criticism - when nobody tells me that I'm doing something wrong, I assume tha I do it right and I see no reason to change the way I go about things.

I had a great example of such situation. I'm learning how to drive and my instructor and I were driving around the block. And at some point he got a call and started talking. And while he was talking I did one full circle. When he hung up he looked at me as if I'd grown a new head and asked why was I driving poorly? It was said without any explanation as to the reason he said that. And only when I asked him what's wrong, he told me that I should have slowed down in some parts of the track and so on. But he could have told me this while I was driving those parts, and not afterwards! Anyways, when he says nothing on how to do things and assume that I know them from somewhere, I don't learn, because I can't read his mind Smile And if he was saying that I'm doing good (when I'm obviously not doing so great), I wouldn't learn anything and what's worse I would have thought that I've learnt this skill and we should continue to something else.

And it's the same in any field I think - if you're not an expert but a novice, you need to get guidance and criticism to get better and to evolve. But this criticism sholdn't be something like "you're doing it wrong" and that's it. If I don't know the reason why I'm doing it wrong there's no way I'm going to do it right next time, unless by chance.   

Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 25.06.2013, 10:06    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

The best teachers I've had manage to keep amazing balance between what they teach and how much space they give me to learn things on my own. However, it always boils down to my desire to learn - with things I am genuinely interested in, I spend a lot more time learning them on my own and then come to my teacher with new results, and we both see how things are moving on. Those same teachers also manage to give criticism depending on their attitude and personality. Some are always very polite and caring, some can show their care in emotional way or sometimes even quite harsh criticism, but again - it all matters to me the way I perceive it... If I like what I am doing, there is a bigger chance I will find a way to get along with my teacher, and it becomes a lot easier to take even criticism that may sound rough for me.

Did you try talking to your driving instructor, Ira? Maybe he doesn't realize what he is doing Wink   

Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 25.06.2013, 12:07    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Tetyana, I do not remember what I had in mind at that time I stared this topic. However, at some point I had encountered a lot of situations, where people had really good and constructive opinions, but for some reason did not voice them. And I have countered people that are silent even when annoyed, even though stating the problem might ease the situation.

Victor писал(а):
I think you should say the person what he/she is doing wrong. Do it without anger, like a teacher. Maybe you should show the way to exclude mistakes the next time.
'Cause if you are telling the person that you "really like the dish", but in fact you don't, you are lying to yourself. Sifu said: "Never lie to yourself! Self-deception is the worst thing you can do."

Good point Victor. To me lying feels horrible, because it makes me feel out of balance. To avoid lying, I think that even if you are directly asked an opinion, you can always say that you don't like to answer that or talk about it.

Haveunique писал(а):
If I like what I am doing, there is a bigger chance I will find a way to get along with my teacher, and it becomes a lot easier to take even criticism that may sound rough for me.

Yes, and people tend to miss this so often! Of course they have responsibility of what they say, but the receaver also has responsibility on how to take in the critisism. It's great if you have found great teachers and your own motivation to work, though. Smile   

Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 26.06.2013, 23:17    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Haveunique писал(а):
Did you try talking to your driving instructor, Ira? Maybe he doesn't realize what he is doing Wink

Yes I do ask him why he says to do things form time to time and from his reaction I infer that usually people have inadequate reaction and start arguing with him. At first when I asked questions he answered that if I think I know better than he, he sees no reason to waste time on teaching me. But later on he understood that I'm asking questions because I don't understand reasons for his decisions to be able to make the same decision on my own in the same situation. So now when I ask a question he starts explaining why we do things. And when I do something wrong, he explains what was my mistake.

And I think it's very important, you can tell a person how to do things, but if (s)he can't do it correctly from the first try and repeat the result several times, then a teacher should tell the mistake. And not just say that you're doing it wrongly and again repeat how to do it. Because I may think that I do it the way he says (especially with accelerator pedal) but I don't get the result I expect from what he says. And unless he tells me that I'm not pushing it hard enough, for example, I can try a lot of times and won't understand the reason why it worked and won't be able to repeat my performance later.   

Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 27.06.2013, 19:15    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

It is nice when the person stops taking things as an insult or a challenge and starts actually working on the common task =) Good for you, Ira! I hope you are enjoying your lessons a lot more now.   
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 13.07.2013, 18:55    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Haveunique писал(а):
It is nice when the person stops taking things as an insult or a challenge and starts actually working on the common task =)

World without misunderstandings would be something Smile What do you think I can do, if I want to affect on how a person takes the comment?

I think it's not that much about what I say, but how I say it. In this regard, being honest in every situation makes a great difference. If I am saying things I do not mean, it shows as tension and people may react to that tension and get tense themselves. And also relaxing, because if I am relaxed the other person may become relaxed as well.   

Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 14.07.2013, 14:34    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Procyona писал(а):
What do you think I can do, if I want to affect on how a person takes the comment?

I'd say that you should use calm, reasonable voice and explain your reasons. At least that's how I reasoned with my instructor.   

Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 28.07.2013, 17:30    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Staying calm and under control, use calm preferably lower voice and no sudden movements. Relaxation is the key to seeing things how they are and being able to act according to the situation. Breathe in a controlled manner if necessary.   
Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 29.07.2013, 18:14    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

The first thing is to relax the person to whom you want to explain something and then listen to him or her. And be calm and reasonable in words and actions Very Happy   
Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 30.07.2013, 21:54    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Something like this Cool Smile Smile Smile

The Samurai and the Tea Master
A long time ago there lived a Tea Master. He was an elderly, small and frail man. He was known throughout the countryside where he lived for his beautiful Tea Ceremony. His work was so good that one day the Emperor heard about him and summoned him to the Palace to perform this special ceremony.

The quiet, little Tea Master received this invitation from the Emperor. He packed his belongings, placed them on his back and started on a long journey by foot to the Palace.

After many long days the little man arrived and performed the ceremony for the Emperor. The Emperor was so impressed! He presented the Tea Master with the highest honor that he was allowed. He presented him with the two Japanese swords of the Samurai.

The Tea Master accepted the swords. He bowed to the emperor, placed the swords on his back, picked up his belongings and started his journey home.

Two days later the little man was walking through a small country village when he was spotted by the Samurai that protected that area. He was a great and powerful Samurai. At first the Samurai could not believe his eyes. Where those swords? What was this little frail man doing with them?!

The Samurai confronted the little man. “How dare you make a mockery of all Samurai! I can not stand for this dishonor. "

The Samurai challenged the Tea Ceremony master to a duel to the death with swords, and said: "Meet me here today at 4 o'clock in the afternoon, and we shall fight.”

Honor would not permit the Tea Ceremony master to refuse the challenge, so he had to agree. But he was frightened, and went to his own teacher of Tea Ceremony, to ask him what to do. "I have never held a sword in my hand in my life," he said. "He will surely kill me".

The older Tea Ceremony master replied with a calm smile. "Do not worry," he said. "Go meet him at the appointed time, and do what you know how to do. Perform the Tea Ceremony."

At four o'clock, the Samurai arrived with swords. But the Tea Ceremony master arrived with charcoal, matches, a tea kettle, water, cups, and began to prepare the tea.

The Tea Master opened his tea container and the pungent smell of the green tea mingled with the fragrance of the flowers. Quietly and purposefully, the tea master scooped a small amount of green tea into a cup. With the ladle he dipped hot water from the kettle and poured it onto the tea. The Samurai watched, caught up in the quiet intensity of the tea master’s movements. Taking the whisk, the tea master applied it vigorously until the tea foamed. Then bowing with complete calmness, the tea master handed the cup to the Samurai.

The Samurai sipped the tea properly. When he finished, he said to the Tea Master: "I am defeated. You have united body and soul so perfectly, you defeated me. The only thing I can honorably do to a man like you is ask you to teach me. Will you instruct me in the ways of the tea ceremony?"

“Of course,” said the Tea Master. “Meet me at sunset tomorrow.”

Taken from here: http://sweetpersimmon1.blogspot.fi/2007/11/samurai-and-tea-master.html   

Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 31.07.2013, 10:05    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Nice, I was actually thinking of the same story here Very Happy In the one I have read the ending was a bit different, and the tea ceremony master was actually preparing to fight, but was preparing for it in the same sense he would when making tea. His calmness freaked out the challenger, and he surrended. But the idea is the same: It is beautiful what just relaxing can do in tough situations. Smile   
Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 31.07.2013, 11:47    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Thinking doesn't make a difference unless it leads to actions...   
Начать новую тему   Ответить на тему    Список форумов Wing Chun -> Wing Chun community Часовой пояс: GMT + 2
На страницу 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  След.
Страница 1 из 5

© 2010 Украинское Представительство Всемирной Винг Чунь Кунг Фу Ассоциации. Все права защищены.