Представительство Всемирной Ассоциации Традиционного Винг Чунь Кунг Фу в Украине и по СНГ
Representative Office of the World Wing Chun Kung Fu Association in Ukraine and CIS

To trust or not to trust

На страницу 1, 2, 3  След.
Начать новую тему   Ответить на тему    Список форумов Wing Chun -> Personal growth
To trust or not to trust
Автор Сообщение
Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 17.05.2013, 23:26    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Sometimes you just need to learn things which other people think you should learn. It's the discussion I'm having with my students every semester: they are asking me why do they have to learn my subject if they don't have a place to apply it at the moment. Well, my answer is that (1) you don't know what will you be doing tomorrow and maybe things you've learnt so far will ease your way next and (2) there's no such thing as useless knowledge, people just don't apply it Wink

What I was refering to in my post was actually learning to do things wrongly, like walking straight towards the opponent and not sidestepping him. It's so much harder to find 45 degrees angle if you get used to going at right angle or something.   

Посмотреть профиль Отправить личное сообщение
Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 18.05.2013, 17:07    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Ira, your post rose a topic, clearly different from the concept of balance where you posted it. In order to do things just because someone thinks you should, you need to trust that person.

How do you choose who to trust and how do you earn other people's trust?

To my mind, trust always comes with actions and their results. Thus doing things together is the best way to learn to trust someone and earn their trust. Especially keeping in mind that trust is giving some responsibility to another person and taking off that same part of responsibility off yourself.   

https://www.facebook.com/TraditionalWingChunOulu   
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 19.05.2013, 10:38    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Thanks for the great topic Tetyana and Irene Smile

For me, trust is somewhat related to respect that we have discussed earlier, even though for me a deeper trust is harder to gain than respect. Like with respect, you need to be able to trust yourself before you can trust others.

Before I can trust someone, I need to know him or her well enough, not nessesarily timewise, but characterwise. There are different levels of trust, according what kinds of promises I can expect the other one to keep, and if are they able to handle information or tasks I ask of them. It is also about the trust in my own decision to trust, and take responsibility if things do not work the way they should.

I can gain other peoples' trust by trusting myself and with my actions that reflect my self-trust: keeping my word, be a genuine person and do tasks I have promised to do.

By the way, giving your trust to a person also makes them trust themselves and take more responsibility. Smile   

Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 19.05.2013, 21:17    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Haveunique писал(а):
Ira, your post rose a topic, clearly different from the concept of balance where you posted it.

I guess I was trying to back up my point with it Very Happy

Procyona писал(а):
For me, trust is somewhat related to respect that we have discussed earlier, even though for me a deeper trust is harder to gain than respect. Like with respect, you need to be able to trust yourself before you can trust others.

You just took the words right out of my mouth Smile

Procyona писал(а):
By the way, giving your trust to a person also makes them trust themselves and take more responsibility. Smile

That's true. But I think there's something else on the receiving side of your trust. I just can't pinpoint what exactly should be there for a person to gain more self-esteem because someone trusted in them. I think I would need to respect the person who put his trust in me to be more responsible. And I would definitely need to respect myself to appreciate this gift of trust.

Haveunique писал(а):
To my mind, trust always comes with actions and their results. Thus doing things together is the best way to learn to trust someone and earn their trust. Especially keeping in mind that trust is giving some responsibility to another person and taking off that same part of responsibility off yourself.

That's true. In order to trust someone you need to know that you can rely on the person. And this can come from working together, or because someone you trust told you so. That would work as well, I suppose.

Also there are people, or maybe not exactly people but representatives of professions, whom you trust without personal experience. Whom you were taught to trust from a cradle. Like police, medics, teachers... Of course it may be misplaced, but it's not like one representative of the profession shold be responsible for another representative. And it's not like you can see rightaway if you should have trusted a teacher to know better or not. Besides, we trust our parents. Usually Smile   

Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 09.07.2013, 09:21    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Gra-ach писал(а):
Procyona писал(а):
That's true. But I think there's something else on the receiving side of your trust. I just can't pinpoint what exactly should be there for a person to gain more self-esteem because someone trusted in them. I think I would need to respect the person who put his trust in me to be more responsible. And I would definitely need to respect myself to appreciate this gift of trust.

Well, the person should at least notice, unconsciously or not, that the actions are about trust. If they do not think themselves trustworthy, it is harder for them to act like they are. So, there might need that base trust in themselves to become trustworthy, like you said. Smile

Gra-ach писал(а):
Also there are people, or maybe not exactly people but representatives of professions, whom you trust without personal experience. Whom you were taught to trust from a cradle. Like police, medics, teachers... Of course it may be misplaced, but it's not like one representative of the profession shold be responsible for another representative. And it's not like you can see rightaway if you should have trusted a teacher to know better or not. Besides, we trust our parents. Usually Smile

I don't think the ones in authority positions are trusted without a trial: someone has evaluated them to be good enough for the position, and in most countries, the person can be complained about and forced out of the job if they do not manage as they should. This is about professional trust. For personal trust, I would still need to know this person not by the talk, but by 'testing' him or her myself.

About teachers, also depending on the field, there can be both personal trust and professional trust involved. We can always choose if we follow, mimic or listen, or open up in either levels. And if we find teachers who to trust on both, good for us. But even so, there is always room for healthy challenge - not to doupt, but to question.

With parents it works on the same way. We cannot choose them, but after puberty, they are usually not as high authorities as they used to be Very Happy   

Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 28.07.2013, 18:01    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

With parents, Milla, it all depends how they raised their children, so it's a very individual matter.

About following - I really wish it was that easy Very Happy In order to make conscious choices a person needs to be aware. Aware, conscious actions only can be a base for trust, that's my opinion.   

Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 28.07.2013, 22:11    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Haveunique писал(а):
With parents, Milla, it all depends how they raised their children, so it's a very individual matter.

About following - I really wish it was that easy Very Happy In order to make conscious choices a person needs to be aware. Aware, conscious actions only can be a base for trust, that's my opinion.

Well, yes, I can only speak on my behalf, and that is how the parent issue worked for me.

What do you mean when you wish following was that easy? Thank you!   

Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 28.07.2013, 22:18    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Procyona писал(а):
We can always choose if we follow, mimic or listen, or open up in either levels.

Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 29.07.2013, 09:44    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

So to you Tetyana, if I got it right, following to you as a conscious choice is based on trust? But I think we can also follow even if we are not conscious of the choice.   
Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 29.07.2013, 13:03    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Yes, Milla. If it is not conscious, it is not our choice Smile   
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 29.07.2013, 16:53    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

I see. Smile But if it is not your choise, are you responsible for it? More over, what things can you be in response of? Thank you!

For me, things like following or acting can be unconcious in a way that you are not aware why you choose it, but also that you have other options. If you act only on what you think you must, is also a choise, as well as not choocing is. I think that there is always responsibility when there is a choice made, and because I am responsible for my actions, I am choosing all the time, was I conscious or not.   

Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 31.07.2013, 02:20    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Milla, it can happen so: we don't like something in retrospective and there is a tendency to say, it wasn't my choice. Well, if I was the one to act, it was my action, meaning my responsibility... even if I chose it not consciously, but out of fear, ego or laziness... Confused   
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 31.07.2013, 09:34    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Indeed, ego and fear are very tricky in this respect, and they try to make themselves look like they are something else interily Very Happy

Talking more about consciousness, it is true that actions like following or mimicing can be conscious, but can trust it self be conscious? To me it seems to always be unconscious, more or less rising by itself.   

Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 31.07.2013, 11:53    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Now I see the time has come for a special task for you, Milla Smile Smile check your e-mail Razz Wink Very Happy Very Happy   
Валентина Слободянюк
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 31.07.2013, 16:01    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

interesting, what kind of task?) is it someyhing with consciousness and subconsciousness?)   
Начать новую тему   Ответить на тему    Список форумов Wing Chun -> Personal growth Часовой пояс: GMT + 2
На страницу 1, 2, 3  След.
Страница 1 из 3

© 2010 Украинское Представительство Всемирной Винг Чунь Кунг Фу Ассоциации. Все права защищены.