Представительство Всемирной Ассоциации Традиционного Винг Чунь Кунг Фу в Украине и по СНГ
Representative Office of the World Wing Chun Kung Fu Association in Ukraine and CIS

Principle of respect

На страницу 1, 2  След.
Начать новую тему   Ответить на тему    Список форумов Wing Chun -> Wing Chun Practice
Principle of respect
Автор Сообщение
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 12.05.2013, 14:32    Заголовок сообщения: Principle of respect Ответить с цитатой

In trainings we bow to show respect to our instructors, Sifus and to the hall. But beside this action that shows respect in a really specific way, it can also be seen the way we conduct in the exercise and practice.

How does respect show in your actions? Is there a way to train respect?

For me, the most important factor to show respect is how I use the time to a task or action: am I early or late, and am I thinking something else while giving time to it. For training purposes, I would have to know the value I give to tasks, namely do I want to do it or not. After that I can use my time accordingly to the tasks I am doing at the moment.   

Посмотреть профиль Отправить личное сообщение
Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 12.05.2013, 15:13    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Brilliant topic! Respect can and should be trained. Each of us is a starting point! Only the person who respects themselves can respect others.

What does self-respect mean and how does it show? Being honest with oneself and acting accordingly. This means I do what I like and don't do things I dislike. However, if on my way I happen to need to do something I dislike, which still leads me to my goals, I use SiFu's advice: "Make unpleasant into a habit, and make the habit pleasant".   

https://www.facebook.com/TraditionalWingChunOulu   
Артем Лысенко
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 12.05.2013, 17:53    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Tanya, you are reading my mind:) I absolytely agree with your oppinion of self respect what comes before than respect for others. Every thing and processes that are living inside of ones reflecting on his real life and actions. If you're angry inside, you are angry outsde and your body act in the same way. If you feel love, you act the same. And people asking all the time, what is happening with you? you're acting kind of different:)
Respect to me is support each sepparate word or idea with action towards this idea. Be honest with yourself and promises you've given. To have strength to keep them. A propriate training is to implement a new habbit (first, this could be a simple one) for exapmle, every morning do first form of traditional wing chun, independent from any other conditions   

Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 13.05.2013, 13:19    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Thank you, Artem! Creating one new habit is already a huge step, for which every person should feel proud and appreciate themselves, it is a lot of work. However, before creating any new habit a person needs to honestly answer themselves what they want to achieve by this. "Honestly" means the motivation is genuine!   
Валентина Слободянюк
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 13.05.2013, 15:44    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Respect and self respect are really connected. completing things you promissed to yourself you feed your self respec. and the only thing you can show your respect to others - do what you sad, keep your promises.   
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 13.05.2013, 23:38    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Now that you guys mention it, it sure is so: How could I respect anything I am given (time, opportunities, friends) if I did not respect the receaver. It's the same thing when I would give diamonds to pigs: The value of the diamond is in how and by whom it's used.

Self respect is something we already have when we are young but somewhere along the way some of us loose it. Self respect and honesty can be trained with listening myself in each moment: what I want to do, where do I want to be and what can I do to achieve it.   

Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 16.05.2013, 20:16    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Валя писал(а):
Respect and self respect are really connected. completing things you promissed to yourself you feed your self respec. and the only thing you can show your respect to others - do what you sad, keep your promises.

I'd add one more thing to your list: and it's overcoming obstacles. The harder the task the more respect you feel towards yourself when you're done with it, when you've found the solution to the problem. And the same is true when I'm talking about other people - if I know that something is extremely hard to do (because of different reasons and they are reletive to each individual case) my respect toward the person who managed to do it plummets sky high Smile

And I'm curious about other thing: do you need to feel respected by others? Or you can live happily without such things. If not, whose respect do you crave?

I don't care about random people I don't know - whether they respect me or not. Why would they? They same goes the other way - I don't respect or disrespect people I don't know at all (and I'm not talking about being impolite with them). I want my peers and people I know to respect me because of my actions and I respect them according to what they do or don't do. And I treat them accordingly. Or better to say I try to treat them in accordance to what I think about them.   

Яся Мельник

СообщениеДобавлено: 16.05.2013, 22:02    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

As for me - my aсts make my reputation,but I need to respect with other people in advance and disinterestedly. As dift.   
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 17.05.2013, 16:10    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Of respect from others: I seek for respect from other people, from close and distant alike. This does not mean that I wish them just to respect me, but that I need to act accordingly to earn that respect. I am also working on to respect every living creature, things not alive, and also events. This way I can always learn something new from them.

Also, Wataru Ohashi has said the following of selfrespesct:

Цитата:
"When we expect too much (out of life), we are unable to value anything, even ourselves."

What do you think? Do you respect yourself more without expectations?

For me it is so, because the more I seek success, a better job or more friends, the more I distant myself from what I already have right now. When there is a dilemma between what I expect and what I have, I am bound to be unhappy of what I have. This leads to low selfrespect, as I think 'I am not good enough, and ought be better.'
To me respect, towards myself and everything else, grows from little things I am happy about.   

Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 17.05.2013, 23:47    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Procyona писал(а):
Of respect from others: I seek for respect from other people, from close and distant alike. This does not mean that I wish them just to respect me, but that I need to act accordingly to earn that respect.

Are you saying that if some random guy says out loud that he doesn't like your hair cut and because of that he says that you're a fool that you have it, will you lose sleep? It's disrespect from someone you don't know. Will you just dismiss his impolite remark and think him a jerk? On the other hand, your best friend says something like that. Will you have the same reaction?

I never know all the reasons why someone did something. I'm not sure I know all MY reasons of doing things sometimes. So how can I judge people I don't know for what they've done or haven't done? It's just one act out of hundreds and at one pooint he can seem the best person ever and the next the worst type of unicellulate creature. So thinking about someone just from one act is wrong in my opinion. But constant actions which you think are right raise your opinion of the person.   

Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 18.05.2013, 15:45    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Gra-ach писал(а):
Procyona писал(а):
Of respect from others: I seek for respect from other people, from close and distant alike. This does not mean that I wish them just to respect me, but that I need to act accordingly to earn that respect.

Are you saying that if some random guy says out loud that he doesn't like your hair cut and because of that he says that you're a fool that you have it, will you lose sleep? It's disrespect from someone you don't know. Will you just dismiss his impolite remark and think him a jerk? On the other hand, your best friend says something like that. Will you have the same reaction?

I doupt I would, since a topic like haircut is not very important to me. That kind of comment would be rude, if one takes it as such, but it's only an opinion. And everyone has their own, did they say it aloud or not. The commentor might have some agenda behind it, but I would not know of it. I would not think this person to be a jerk, but straight with his or her opinions. It matters not, if the person is a friend or stranger. With friends, however, I am more curious what the agenda behind remarks are. Smile

With seeking respect from other people I seek relationships that can give respect both ways, for me and for the other person. I believe that if I show strangers respect they pay it back eventually, but I am not expecting it to come back. With friends respect is mutual and longer lasting, but I cannot expect it it to stay that way without renewing it.

Gra-ach писал(а):
I never know all the reasons why someone did something. I'm not sure I know all MY reasons of doing things sometimes. So how can I judge people I don't know for what they've done or haven't done? It's just one act out of hundreds and at one pooint he can seem the best person ever and the next the worst type of unicellulate creature. So thinking about someone just from one act is wrong in my opinion. But constant actions which you think are right raise your opinion of the person.

Do you need to know the persons reasoning to respect him of her?

I believe there are two levels of respect: One is respect of life, that gives space for a person be who they are, even though I could not understand them or their reasoning. The other one is a deeper respect when I understand the person better, and see his or her reasoning behind actions, and I can understand that reasoning. I also believe that if I spend enough time with a person, I am able to respect him or her on deeper level eventually.   

Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 18.05.2013, 17:01    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

A person who respects themselves, respects others - and it should be distinguished from judging and liking/disliking someone's actions. At the same time, it is our choice who to be with - people who respect themselves or at least learn how to do so, or the rest.

When it comes to appreciating what we have - that is only a starting point that should lead to a solid vision of what we want to have. It has nothing to do with expectations but rather with wanting to do your own stuff but also keeping in mind things still will go on their own accord. It's a matter of choosing a position in thinking, just like it is in Wing Chun at every training Cool   

Яся Мельник

СообщениеДобавлено: 19.05.2013, 19:20    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Yes! Thank you, Tanya! It's like a bow!   
Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 19.05.2013, 20:57    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Procyona писал(а):
Do you need to know the persons reasoning to respect him of her?

I believe there are two levels of respect: One is respect of life, that gives space for a person be who they are, even though I could not understand them or their reasoning. The other one is a deeper respect when I understand the person better, and see his or her reasoning behind actions, and I can understand that reasoning. I also believe that if I spend enough time with a person, I am able to respect him or her on deeper level eventually.

Now that I came to think of it, I guess I do need to know the reasons fer their actions. It's not like end justifies the means, but it may shed another light on the situation which may potentially lead to the lost respect. And it can even make me respect the person more for it did something in dire situation. For example, I respect the person more when I know that (s)he is very busy but (s)he found time for me and not found some excuse. Or if he promised me to do something and kept his promise. And so on. It's all in little things. It's like I start with 0 respect. And then actions of a person either make it a positive number, or negative one. And based on it I either respect a person, or not.

And I think I'm talking about the second type of respect here. If I don't know someone/something I just let it be, because every one has his or her own way in life and it's definitely not my place to judge him worthy or not of my respect. And I'm pretty sure they won't lose sleep ove it. The same way I wouldn't in the same situation.

Haveunique писал(а):
A person who respects themselves, respects others - and it should be distinguished from judging and liking/disliking someone's actions. At the same time, it is our choice who to be with - people who respect themselves or at least learn how to do so, or the rest.

I guess I (dis)respect people for their actions, or lack thereof. On the other hand some people do horrendous deeds and get respected for them...   

Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 20.05.2013, 00:25    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Яся Мельник писал(а):
Yes! Thank you, Tanya! It's like a bow!

Like a bow - in which meaning, Yasia? thank you!   

Начать новую тему   Ответить на тему    Список форумов Wing Chun -> Wing Chun Practice Часовой пояс: GMT + 2
На страницу 1, 2  След.
Страница 1 из 2

© 2010 Украинское Представительство Всемирной Винг Чунь Кунг Фу Ассоциации. Все права защищены.