Представительство Всемирной Ассоциации Традиционного Винг Чунь Кунг Фу в Украине и по СНГ
Representative Office of the World Wing Chun Kung Fu Association in Ukraine and CIS

Learning and Using English

На страницу 1, 2  След.
Начать новую тему   Ответить на тему    Список форумов Wing Chun -> Wing Chun community
Learning and Using English
Автор Сообщение
Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 11.03.2013, 17:00    Заголовок сообщения: Learning and Using English Ответить с цитатой

I gather none of us here on this forum is a native English speaker. So I decided to figure out why people who, theoretically, aspire to become better in all the ways possible can't step over their fear to use language they know on at least Intermediate level.

I'll start with myself. How did I become so "proficient" in English? And why?

I had a really good English teacher at elementary school and I love to learn new things. So I enjoyed learning English. But later I changed schools and we started learning French and unfortunately at that point my English teacher was absolutely awful. So I knew French better that English which I studied for 7 years comparing to French which I just started. And I still like French a lot, even though I studied it only for two years Smile

Getting back to English... I had a very good teachers at university and after graduating from school I went to work as an overseas sales manager so I had to use English to put orders, write contracts and so on. But I still couldn't read unabridged books in English - there were too many unknown words and I was too lazy to look each and every one up in a dictionary. So when my friends decided to go to a language school I followed their example the next term. Unfortunatelly, they dropped from school when I entered so it defeated the purpose of studying together Wink But being a diligent student I finished it and received three Cambridge Certificates and, which is the most important, good command of the language. Considering it was two years ago and that I don't use it daily I forgot a lot of things, but now I can easily read and listen to unabridged books and understand everything. Which's exactly my goal!

Writing on our "English" forum lets me use my knowledge so it doesn't get overly rusty. Moreover I get to communicate with nice intelligent people. And I don't understand why someone who have a tool at his or her disposal wouldn't use it!

I remember in the beginning it was difficult and scary to talk to people in English. But I decided that if I don't do something about it, it willl never change. Besides I could make myself understood so even when I made mistakes people eventually figured out what I was talking about. Having made this resolution I didn't actually do anything in the right direction Wink But somehow I got acquainted with several Americans and we started talking. At first I had to look up almost every 5th or 6th word I wanted to say in a dictionary. But, of course, the more we talked the easier it became and the more words I remembered. And each time we talked it was easier for me to forget my fears and just talk about everything. So in this case as in many others, practice makes perfect! I know that I still make mistakes in my writing and speach and I don't get these articles - I'm still sure that they are redundant and should be dropped at any occasion! Wink Wink Wink

What was your path to English? Please share!   

Посмотреть профиль Отправить личное сообщение
Borys B

СообщениеДобавлено: 12.03.2013, 10:21    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Hey Gra-ach, you have raised pretty interesting topic.

As for me I learnt foreign languages while learning texts by heart. It is so awful to listen someone who is translating every word in a sentence from ukrainian to english, the language looks so artificial, on contrary it is better to use regular phrases form texts.

Concerning improving languages - I travelled a lot and held mutual conversations a lot, hosted foreigners and showed around. My english is nor american nor britain because I spoke in it a lot with non-native speakers, I and my friends call this language Europish Smile

So-so-so, who is the next willing to shared her or his experience in learning foreign languages?   
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 13.03.2013, 12:37    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Pretty interesting topic indeed.

I have studied English in Ground school and High school just as everybody else but did not take other languages in the side. We studied Swedish, too, but I was not too eager to learn it, so it has never quite reached the know-how one would need to converse with.

During my teens I was pretty ignorant of how languages could help me, and as shy as I was, I did not practice speaking aloud out side classes. Writing was not as hard, but I preferred to do that in my native language when ever possible. Things that motivated me to learn English words were role-playing games on good old PS2, and songs of Nightwish.

Nowadays I have noticed this error and work to come over the fear to speak out, and I have even started to learn a new language, German. Now I even have a native speaker American as a roommate, and some international friends, so it has become easier to talk of general things, and to let myself make mistakes. I have to solve on whom does the cleaning chores settle this week, after all Smile   

tililim

СообщениеДобавлено: 14.03.2013, 19:54    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Many thank to “Gra-ach” (sorry – but I don’t know your real name yet) for such an interesting and important topic.

As for me, I wish I had studied English harder in my school time. But, unfortunately, during the 1980s-1990s the only educational material we had – boring red idealized schoolbooks as well as teachers with poor and "Russian" pronunciation. To compare with present time we didn’t have any useful and effective tools to learn language, such as internet, open literature, sound and video records etc. I even remember the time when we shared with hand-written lyrics and tapes. So, I must confess I hated the English in school period, ‘Cos of the material and the way how teachers ran the lessons.

Thanks God I’ve met nice teacher in University. That was the “real English” – almost native pronunciation, mixture of case study, reading-writing-speaking-listening parts – everything was completely different. And she’s planted love for learning.

I had changed my mind and started to learn language. Firstly, English language by itself was my goal. But later, I realized that language is only the essential tool any other achievements. Another words – self motivated person appears to be double challenged – on one hand one has to improve language skills, on the other hand - “accomplish the mission”.

As a conclusion I’d like to say that foreign language might be picked up through continual practice. It is similar to Wing Chun – everyday practice is the only formula for success. So, I wish to everybody good luck in any initiative.   

Borys B

СообщениеДобавлено: 15.03.2013, 12:13    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

tililim писал(а):
boring red idealized schoolbooks as well as teachers with poor and "Russian" pronunciation.

tililim, you have mentioned quite important thing - pronunciation. When I have been to Istanbul, some people got me wrong because of weird russian pronunciation. On the contrary I do not get right british people and I kindly ask "to switch off their british accent", and facing a little bit problem to understand english spoken by french-speaking person Very Happy   
Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 15.03.2013, 13:10    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Borys B писал(а):
tililim писал(а):
boring red idealized schoolbooks as well as teachers with poor and "Russian" pronunciation.

tililim, you have mentioned quite important thing - pronunciation. When I have been to Istanbul, some people got me wrong because of weird russian pronunciation. On the contrary I do not get right british people and I kindly ask "to switch off their british accent", and facing a little bit problem to understand english spoken by french-speaking person Very Happy

That's actually what I really liked about my courses. On an exam we had a Listening part. And the higher the level, the more different accents were introduced to figure out even minute details of what they're talking about. So it was required to be able to understand different prononciation.

And another point about talking is inflection. I'm told that my inflection is usually wrong - at least for American English Smile So this is a thing to work on, apart from vocabulary and grammar Smile   

Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 16.03.2013, 00:20    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

I remember the biggest bewilderment when in the first grade, we had the topic of Present Simple. I could not put together those "do" and "does" and I still remember that feeling of wondering, what that was about. After I finally figured out, that seemed to have been the moment of bounding with the language =) The teacher, of course, was the biggest example and I still feel warm about her teaching for the first 3 years of school.

The next big step felt when I needed to study English at the university. I thought I knew it quite well; turned out not so well actually, and needed to study study study study.

When I decided to teach English at some point, surprise! It was necessary to learn how to teach the rules I've long since forgotten Smile But then, one never knows when the learned skill will help. So I think it is better to learn, if one set their mind to it, and enjoy as much as possible...   

https://www.facebook.com/TraditionalWingChunOulu   
tililim

СообщениеДобавлено: 17.03.2013, 00:23    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

As the matter of fact – it’s too difficult to highlight “the best and most essential” part in learning process (listening, reading, writing and speaking). Of course, the former 3 parts might be practiced along. But, in terms of “listening”, – I believe the best way is to listen to people from different regions of the world. I have such interesting experience: few years ago I had the chance to spend couple month abroad within multinational group of people. And it was extremely difficult to “hear” the people from Africa, China and Muslim countries. Their pronunciation was unique and even if you know the words – it is a big challenge to recognize them. So it took times to get used to. The bottom line is – the more nations you have practice to speak to – the better for your “listening skills”.   
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 17.03.2013, 19:47    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Listening might be the most underestimated of those four you mentioned, tililim, for any language and as a basic skill.

Tetyana, isn't it said that the best way to learn is to teach? Or should I say: it's the best way to test ones knowledge Smile   

Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 18.03.2013, 12:14    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Milla, teaching is also learning but not only because of students. Those who become masters in their heads stop learning.   
Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 19.03.2013, 14:31    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Talking about listening. Few years ago I discovered a thing called audiobook! Excellent invention!!! With its help I learnt how to pronounce a lot of things which I previously only knew how to write. And sometimes they ask speakers with accent to read books which are set in Scotland for example and they have horrendously awful scotish accents! And I really liked it!   
Kuzart

СообщениеДобавлено: 19.03.2013, 14:38    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

I don't understand a half of british colleagues because they have Scottish accent Very Happy Very Happy and use intuition to answer "yes" or "no" Very Happy Very Happy   

Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 19.03.2013, 15:16    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Good call, Kuzart Smile

Talking about Scotish accent. The other year I watched a British series "Life on Mars" with John Simm (Life on Mars and Doctor Who) and Philip Glenister and they had very charming accents there. First two or three times I heard the word gun I couldn't understand what they are talking about. And the same with love.

And then I listened to the Dr Who audiobook read by David Tennant and he also used some kind of accent.   

Kuzart

СообщениеДобавлено: 19.03.2013, 15:27    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2Y0oqZOyl0   

Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 20.03.2013, 15:59    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Brilliant, Kuzart, thank you Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy It's so good we are not machines and can actually learn to understand each other even if there are accents Cool Razz   
Начать новую тему   Ответить на тему    Список форумов Wing Chun -> Wing Chun community Часовой пояс: GMT + 2
На страницу 1, 2  След.
Страница 1 из 2

© 2010 Украинское Представительство Всемирной Винг Чунь Кунг Фу Ассоциации. Все права защищены.