Представительство Всемирной Ассоциации Традиционного Винг Чунь Кунг Фу в Украине и по СНГ
Representative Office of the World Wing Chun Kung Fu Association in Ukraine and CIS

Books

На страницу 1, 2  След.
Начать новую тему   Ответить на тему    Список форумов Wing Chun -> Personal growth
Books
Автор Сообщение
Martin

СообщениеДобавлено: 05.02.2013, 19:43    Заголовок сообщения: Books Ответить с цитатой

I have got this idea for some time. We are here because of same hobby, maybe we will have more common things. So what about books? Which one is you favourite, which one do you consider as a interresting or would you like to recommended?

I´m reading Shantaram now and I have to say that it´s very nice book. I find here short description if you are interrested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shantaram_(novel)   
Посмотреть профиль Отправить личное сообщение
Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 06.02.2013, 23:05    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Thank you, Martin!

One of the books that got me really impressed is "Stranger in a Strange Land" by Heinlein. Very fundamental and with lots and lots of questions and answers concerning values, personal capabilities, and people's attitudes.

Another one is "Awaken the Giant within" by Anthny Robbins, recommended to everyone who wishes to find ways to unleash their personal powers!   

https://www.facebook.com/TraditionalWingChunOulu   
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 08.02.2013, 13:20    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

I have different favorite book depending on the subject area, and can't name only one as the best. There are so many good ones Smile

The Blind Watchmaker, 1986, by Richard Dawkins was something really inspiring for me, at the time I first started to learn of biology, and know I would still enjoy it.

On the other hand, I also enjoined Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu / Laotsi, by it's way of giving many good and encouraging advices governing once life in general.

On my spiritual journey I was very much encouraged by Brad Warner's Hardcore Zen. In this book he illustrates the practice of Zen Buddhism and how needs to go past any authorities to grasp the truth of life. Like Warner states himself, the most tough question even themselves.

From non-fiction, I need to mention Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. Gaiman's tales make unimaginable amazingly imaginable, as fantastic mysteries with deep meaning, as Pratchett states his views of the world in a funny and fresh way.   

Martin

СообщениеДобавлено: 19.02.2013, 19:58    Заголовок сообщения: how things are changing Ответить с цитатой

It's interesting, how these things are changing. In my high school I was reading mainly fantazy, Terry Pratchett is still one of my favourite autors I have read over twenty his books, but after high school I change my style, I don´t know what happend.

Last several years I have read several books about self development usually one per year so not so much. Such as Eat that frog! Here is some quotations: http://home.earthlink.net/~denmartin/etf.html It has for sure lot of useful ideas.

One of the things which I realized, that is easy to read these books but it take much more time and effort to acually applied it in your life.   
Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 20.02.2013, 19:30    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

I agree with the last statement Smile
During my school years I enjoyed fantasy - and at that point I discovered several pretty awesome authors some of which I still enjoy rereading:
- Lois McMaster Bujold - I read almost all her books in Vorkosigan Saga when I was like 14-17 years old - it tought me a lot about perceiving myself, about what's important and what isn't. Some of the quotes form her books:
Цитата:
“Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself.”
“Some prices are just too high, no matter how much you may want the prize. The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart.”
“My home is not a place, it is people.”
“Don't wish to be normal. Wish to be yourself. To the hilt. Find out what you're best at, and develop it, and hopscotch your weaknesses. Wish to be great at whatever you are.”

- Terry Goodkind - I read all his books except for the last one, it was on my recently stolen PocketBook, waiting for me to read it. Again I read it when I was at school or during the first cources of the university. One of the sayings from his books is in my signature Wink
Цитата:
People are stupid. They can be made to believe any lie because either they want to believe it's true or because they are afraid it's true.
The greatest harm can result from the best intentions.
Passion rules reason, for better or for worse.
There is magic in sincere forgiveness; in the forgiveness you give, but more so in the forgiveness you receive.
Mind what people do, not only what they say, for deeds will betray a lie.
The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason.
Life is the future, not the past.
Deserve Victory
Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self.
Seek the truth not through others, but through yourself.

These two are the series that definied me in many ways. read many more awesome books, but at this moment they don't resurface in my mind Smile And I really liked Terry Pratchet - his disk-world is so hilarious! Familiar things made new and interesting.   

Martin

СообщениеДобавлено: 21.02.2013, 00:42    Заголовок сообщения: books books books Ответить с цитатой

Thank you Gra-ach. It looks really interresting. I just don´t know how to read all this books.

Maybe in the same way like eat an elephant. Peace by peace. Heh.

But I have found some Pratchett quotation, it always makes me happier, and one video from Hogfather. I was stunned when I heard it for a first time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SWbAKYbdmM

Some of Pratchett quotation:

“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.”
― Terry Pratchett, Diggers

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.”
― Terry Pratchett, Jingo

“Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.”
― Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time

and if you like it here is the link:

http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/1654.Terry_Pratchett

Enjoy.   
Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 21.02.2013, 11:47    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Great clip! I agree - we people tend to invent things in our minds that make our life colorful and interesting.   
Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 22.03.2013, 13:12    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Getting to some modern stuff Smile

I'm pretty sure everyone heard about the Hunger Games series. And it's not what I want to recommend Wink , though it's a nice read but I don't like the message of the book. I would like to draw your attention to other dystopian series - [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divergent_(novel)]Divergent[/url] by Veronica Roth. It's about kids (16 year-olds) who have to choose their future and how that choice can effect your mindset and the war they have to wage to find their place in the changing world.

Several quotes from the first two books:
“We believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.”
“Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.”
“Politeness is deception in pretty packaging.”
“It must require bravery to be honest all the time.”
“Fear doesn't shut you down; it wakes you up”
“There is a fine line between bravery and idiocy”
“Learning how to think in the midst of fear is a lesson that everyone needs to learn.”
“No matter how long you train someone to be brave, you never know if they are or not until something real happens.”
“Like a wild animal, the truth is too powerful to remain caged.”
“Evil depends on where you're standing.”

The trailer for Divergent   

Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 30.11.2013, 18:58    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Another book I liked is Bruised by Sarah Skilton.

Blurb:
Imogen has always believed that her black belt in Tae Kwon Do made her stronger than everyone else - more responsible, more capable. But when she witnesses a holdup in a diner, she freezes. The gunman is shot and killed by the police. And it's all her fault.

Now she's got to rebuild her life without the talent that made her special and the beliefs that made her strong. If only she could prove herself in a fight - a real fight - she might be able to let go of the guilt and shock. She's drawn to Ricky, another witness to the holdup, both romantically and because she believes he might be able to give her the fight she’s been waiting for.

But when it comes down to it, a fight won’t answer Imogen's big questions: What does it really mean to be stronger than other people? Is there such a thing as a fair fight?

It caught my eye because it's about MA practitioner and if you answer truthfully I think you've thought at least once if you'll be able to do a right thing in a situation when your life is at risk. So I decided to give it a go and was not disappointed. It was very interesting to read about the journey Imogen has to undergo, the changes in herself and most importantly in her world view. And I think by the end of the book she ends up being a better person. And it's one of the way things could go if something bad happens.   

Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 30.11.2013, 21:36    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Interesting concept, thank you for sharing, Irene! Smile   
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 25.12.2014, 19:17    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

I read Ohashis Reading the body, where your traits on face and in the body tell what kind of person you are. I kind of found myself there,
and the traits match quite well with other people I know with certain traits. Interesting!

http://www.amazon.com/Reading-Body-Ohashis-Oriental-Diagnosis/dp/0140193626   

Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 09.01.2015, 10:49    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Gra-ach писал(а):
Another book I liked is Bruised by Sarah Skilton.

Blurb:
Imogen has always believed that her black belt in Tae Kwon Do made her stronger than everyone else - more responsible, more capable. But when she witnesses a holdup in a diner, she freezes. The gunman is shot and killed by the police. And it's all her fault.

Now she's got to rebuild her life without the talent that made her special and the beliefs that made her strong. If only she could prove herself in a fight - a real fight - she might be able to let go of the guilt and shock. She's drawn to Ricky, another witness to the holdup, both romantically and because she believes he might be able to give her the fight she’s been waiting for.

But when it comes down to it, a fight won’t answer Imogen's big questions: What does it really mean to be stronger than other people? Is there such a thing as a fair fight?

It caught my eye because it's about MA practitioner and if you answer truthfully I think you've thought at least once if you'll be able to do a right thing in a situation when your life is at risk. So I decided to give it a go and was not disappointed. It was very interesting to read about the journey Imogen has to undergo, the changes in herself and most importantly in her world view. And I think by the end of the book she ends up being a better person. And it's one of the way things could go if something bad happens.

Interesting. Thanks, Ira! It reminded me of someone's wisdom saying: we would have no problems, if we weren't thinking so much ))   

Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 09.01.2015, 10:50    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

One of the most impressive books I read recently is Ken Robison's ''Finding your element'' about the modern system of education and how it is helping or not helping us to find our talents, and what we can do for our own self-realization.   
Faroth

СообщениеДобавлено: 01.04.2015, 12:01    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Dragonlance legends -trilogy is something very dear to me. It tells story about a soon be powerful mage Raistlin Majere, hes brother Caramon, their relationship and journey together.   
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 22.04.2015, 19:00    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Planet of Apes was a very mind-blowing novel for me. It was written in 1963 and it's one of those scifi classics, but it still resonates with the unknown powers and directions of the world.

Other good one is The Left Hand of Darkness. It tells about society where people of a planet only have one sex.   

Начать новую тему   Ответить на тему    Список форумов Wing Chun -> Personal growth Часовой пояс: GMT + 2
На страницу 1, 2  След.
Страница 1 из 2

© 2010 Украинское Представительство Всемирной Винг Чунь Кунг Фу Ассоциации. Все права защищены.