Представительство Всемирной Ассоциации Традиционного Винг Чунь Кунг Фу в Украине и по СНГ
Representative Office of the World Wing Chun Kung Fu Association in Ukraine and CIS

Other hobbies beside Wing Chun

На страницу Пред.  1, 2, 3  След.
Начать новую тему   Ответить на тему    Список форумов Wing Chun -> Wing Chun community
Other hobbies beside Wing Chun
Автор Сообщение
Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 04.03.2013, 13:32    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

The other day, when we were celebrating The men's day, one of the guys said that it's essential and even compulsory to derive enjoyment and pleasure from playing musical instruments, or at least from singing. And to be able to play/sing on a good level of expertise.

That's not to say that I agree with this statement to any extent, but it's a point of view which has a right to exist. So different people have different abilities and different likes and dislikes. And things which I abhore maybe the things others can't live without.   

Посмотреть профиль Отправить личное сообщение
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 17.03.2013, 19:52    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

I think you are correct about that people have different abilities, likes and dislikes. But talking about music, skill aside, I have never met one person who could say they wouldn't like music. It's really basic element in human culture, and as such a basic element in expressing oneself.   
Fanda

СообщениеДобавлено: 18.03.2013, 20:22    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Haveunique писал(а):
Few hundred years is too much, Fanda, I used to play outside as a kid because of no computers Razz

At least we are the generation which remember both, playing outside and spending time with computer. I am just worry that next generation will directly start with TV and computers Sad   
Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 19.03.2013, 00:44    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

No reasons to worry, Fanda Smile What we can do instead is enjoy our own hobbies and find people to share them with Cool If someone prefers TV, I'd hope they feel good with it!   
https://www.facebook.com/TraditionalWingChunOulu   
Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 19.03.2013, 14:52    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Procyona писал(а):
I think you are correct about that people have different abilities, likes and dislikes. But talking about music, skill aside, I have never met one person who could say they wouldn't like music. It's really basic element in human culture, and as such a basic element in expressing oneself.

I 100% agree that music an essential part of human upbrining! But he was talking about playing instruments.

My mom sent me to music school and I can't say I was overly fond about it at that point - I think it took me more time than I wanted to spend in order to achieve the result I wanted. In retrospect I understant that maybe just maybe it was a good decision on her part but it killed in me some love towards music. I can play if I spend a lot of time practicing, but I don't enjoy it.   

Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 21.03.2013, 09:19    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

I'm quite sad to hear that, Gra-ach. It is so true, that if you are forced to do something against your will, you probably end up hating the thing.

By the way, it's quite nice to know one can work it out with taking pleasure of everything one needs to do, in order to prevent disliking things. If you want to change (I don't know if you do or not) you can 'trick' your mind to like music, too. The beauty of human thoughts Wink   

Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 22.03.2013, 00:41    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Very interesting point, Milla, how long do you think 'tricking' will work? Cool   
Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 22.03.2013, 12:34    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

I don't think I want to trick myself into liking something I don't really like Smile I think it's betrayal to oneself to lie to yourself. It's bad to lie to others but it's even worse to lie to yourself. I try not to do it, but sometimes it's hard.

Getting back to me liking music and to quote a classic:
Цитата:
“Without music, life would be a mistake.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 22.03.2013, 18:21    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Don't get me wrong, I also think that doing something one does not want to do is probably not a good idea, and more like lying to oneself like Gra-ach said.

What I meant with tricking was more like a approach on thing you do want to make achiements on, but don't like the process so much. In these situations the benefit of the result is greater than the payment of the disturbing process. If one wanted to be a good at something, one should practice a lot, and that is not always found as pleasant. Or sometimes on things you just need to do, like laundry, and you just need to change your attitude toward it to find thing you like about it.

To answers your guestion, Tetyana, tricking does work only if it's maintained, or until one finds their own natural reason to continue doing the thing. The new reason may come soon, only later, or not at all. This is seen for example when starting a new hobby: One needs a certain period of time to learn if one really likes it or not, but before it, one needs to practise even though it may not feel that great an idea.   

Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 09.09.2013, 10:56    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Indeed, doing something new always requires time to get better at it. But in the core there is always motivation. It's amazing how this topic is very popular nowadays - people wondering why they do things they do not like and how to find what they actually like. It is one of the important tasks of our generation, it seems. The motivation is always inside, so if it seems there is no motivation or you do not know what to do, then there are obstacles on your way and you need to deal with them until you can actually see your own motives.   
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 09.09.2013, 20:52    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Yes, but if you don't know what you want to do, you can always try out different things to learn what you like. If you do not wish to continue when it gets hard, it probably is not your thing. But when there is something you want to do, you just cannot stop doing it. Or if you do, you feel there is something missing. Hard thing with this part is to actually find the thing, with so many options around. Very Happy   
Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 10.09.2013, 17:18    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Well, I guess it depends... At first it was hard to learn how to drive, I so wanted to quit because I didn't sit in the car and miraculousely started driving without any problems. First 5-6 lessons I wanted to bang the door and say good bye! But later on I started to enjoy the ride Smile And when my instructor made comments I appreciated them and tried to remember to do what he said.

On the other hand, it might be kinda hard to know when to stop doing something you don't like at first - maybe it's universe testing your resolve Wink   

Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 14.09.2013, 16:22    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Yes, there is another thing with trying things: if you continue long enough, the first impressions disappear and basics are learned. At this point, if you still continue you'll find a reason - or even a deeper meaning - for it. Because of that reason you have will to continue, and also because of the effort used, you'll have a reason.   
Faroth

СообщениеДобавлено: 17.01.2015, 11:26    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

I love music; listening and playing guitar. I can literally listen music allday long and I could call myself an audiophile too.

Running is also good exercise and stress reliever, but in winter I don't go to run as much as in summer.

I'm also enjoying PC gaming and it has been part of my life as long as I can remember. It's heart-warming to see PC getting so much attention and love from game developers these days, because it hasn't always been like this.   
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 04.05.2015, 21:45    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Running is great exercise indeed. If you run for a long, you spine straightens and you learn to have good posture. Other good posture trainings are yoga and dancing. In both you also need to be aware of what you do, and can very well work for only the next step.   
Начать новую тему   Ответить на тему    Список форумов Wing Chun -> Wing Chun community Часовой пояс: GMT + 2
На страницу Пред.  1, 2, 3  След.
Страница 2 из 3

© 2010 Украинское Представительство Всемирной Винг Чунь Кунг Фу Ассоциации. Все права защищены.