Представительство Всемирной Ассоциации Традиционного Винг Чунь Кунг Фу в Украине и по СНГ
Representative Office of the World Wing Chun Kung Fu Association in Ukraine and CIS

To talk or not to talk...

На страницу 1, 2, 3, 4  След.
Начать новую тему   Ответить на тему    Список форумов Wing Chun -> Personal growth
To talk or not to talk...
Автор Сообщение
Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 02.11.2012, 00:22    Заголовок сообщения: To talk or not to talk... Ответить с цитатой

Цитата:
Write what you know. That should leave you with a lot of free time.
— Howard Nemerov

Well, to paraphrase this saying: Talk only about things you have first hand knowledge about. Otherwise you may put your foot in your mouth.

SiFu always emphasizes that he teaches things he knows from personal experience. And it makes sense - how can you tell someone else to do something which you haven't done yourself and have no practical idea how to do? It's like a person who's never seen a body of water larger than a bathtub will try to teach someone else how to swim. Nonsense!

Sometimes, people want to look good in front of others so they talk about things they have a very vague idea about. And if the other person have no idea at all, it can take the said information for granted and spread it without knowing that it's someone else's imagination. I am guilty of something like this sometimes - I catch myself wanting to look knowledgeable in front of people I want to (or need to) be superior to. Fortunatelly, it happens less often nowadays - maybe because I know more things and avoid discussing things I don't know Wink

So, are you guilty of speaking then thinking? Or you're always in control and never say something you odn't know a lot about?   

Посмотреть профиль Отправить личное сообщение
Валентина Слободянюк
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 02.11.2012, 11:43    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Another wise saying I heard from my Teacher - SiFu: "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." by Confucius.
It is obvious that each of us can be subjected to this sin, the main task is to trace it as often as we can to avoid the same thing next time.   

Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 16.11.2012, 16:33    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Валя писал(а):
I do and I understand.

If only this was the truth! Sometimes I do things, on purpose, and I don't understand afterwards how I've done them. I can't do the very same thing for the second time. And usually it's so frustrating! The knowledge that you theoretically know how to do things, that you've done them but it doesn't work the same way the next time Sad   

Художник

СообщениеДобавлено: 08.12.2012, 14:05    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

on chi sao lessons some times we close our eyes to use and force tactile preception an feel the partner.once we block one of our feeling we force others.
for now i'd like to propose to our instructors as experiment to block our hear on trainig to force other feeling.   

Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 08.12.2012, 18:28    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Actually, if they block your hearing it will be easier to react IMHO, because you have oine less noise channel. I don't think I use hearing all that much during the practice - it actually distracts me from my objective - ELBOWS. I turn in the direction of sound (if it's interesting) or switch my attention to what I hear instead of what's in front of me. So I guess it will help focus on your opponent and yourself rather than help diversify your reactions.

On the other hand, closing your eyes also helps you concemtrate on what's going on, but unlike with hearing, you can do something useful only if you have really great tactile reflexes like SiFu because the sound of footsteps can be very very quiet.   

Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 09.12.2012, 23:25    Заголовок сообщения: Re: To talk or not to talk... Ответить с цитатой

Gra-ach писал(а):
Цитата:
Write what you know. That should leave you with a lot of free time.
— Howard Nemerov

Brilliant point. Everytime I think you'll remember something, it's already a sign I need to write it down... because then it both means I am more likely to remember this and my memory won't be overloaded with things I put on paper. This concers both things that are very important and things that come 2nd, 3rd or even lower on priority list, but still quite high to be worth remembering.

All the rest can be just put into passive memory for further processing...   

https://www.facebook.com/TraditionalWingChunOulu   
Иван

СообщениеДобавлено: 14.12.2012, 16:01    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

If you want to know, what the person is - look on his actions (not words).   
Посмотреть профиль Отправить личное сообщение Отправить e-mail
Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 23.12.2012, 00:30    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Иван писал(а):
If you want to know, what the person is - look on his actions (not words).

At the same time, you can tell a lot about the person when hearing how they speak and what they speak about. But yes, I agree, when words and actions coincide - then the words matter as well.   

Borys B

СообщениеДобавлено: 20.01.2013, 13:46    Заголовок сообщения: Re: To talk or not to talk... Ответить с цитатой

Gra-ach писал(а):

Sometimes, people want to look good in front of others so they talk about things they have a very vague idea about. And if the other person have no idea at all, it can take the said information for granted and spread it without knowing that it's someone else's imagination. I am guilty of something like this sometimes - I catch myself wanting to look knowledgeable in front of people I want to (or need to) be superior to. Fortunatelly, it happens less often nowadays - maybe because I know more things and avoid discussing things I don't know Wink

Oh, I try to show that I am not competent in topic and not indulge myself to synthesize nonsense. If you are indulging yourself in activity you arе not competent, it is like you are doing bubble that will explode when you will lose trust of people that you are competent person.

OFFTOP
Gra-ach, I enjoy sooo much the way you are writing your posts - A lot of times while reading your posts I have the same feeling when I am reading interesting novel =). I do not know what exactly impress my, but keep on writing the same way =)   
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 20.01.2013, 17:52    Заголовок сообщения: Re: To talk or not to talk... Ответить с цитатой

Borys B писал(а):
Gra-ach писал(а):

Oh, I try to show that I am not competent in topic and not indulge myself to synthesize nonsense. If you are indulging yourself in activity you arе not competent, it is like you are doing bubble that will explode when you will lose trust of people that you are competent person.

Gra-ach, I do that too, even though I work on getting rid of that bad habit of mine. But talking about what you know nothing about is only a cover I make for myself. And it's even worse, because I lie to myself, too, and lose my self-confident.   

Borys B

СообщениеДобавлено: 20.01.2013, 23:32    Заголовок сообщения: Re: To talk or not to talk... Ответить с цитатой

Procyona писал(а):
And it's even worse, because I lie to myself, too, and lose my self-confident.

I am also loosing confidence in such situation, and on the contrary I feel myself pretty confident in the things that I am competent.   
Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 21.01.2013, 11:29    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

I recall reading a research, which said that honest people are less stressed - because they don't have to worry about the consequences Smile   
Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 21.01.2013, 14:39    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Haveunique писал(а):
I recall reading a research, which said that honest people are less stressed - because they don't have to worry about the consequences Smile

They don't need to remember what lie they told to whom Cool They don't need to frantically search their memory to recall what they said, which in turn leads to being less streesed.

Borys B писал(а):
OFFTOP
Gra-ach, I enjoy sooo much the way you are writing your posts - A lot of times while reading your posts I have the same feeling when I am reading interesting novel =). I do not know what exactly impress me, but keep on writing the same way =)

Sounds like I chose the wrong field of expertise Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Talking about talking and keeping silence...
Recently I noticed that even if you tell people that it's not a fact what I said but my ideas of how it should be, they still tend to discard part of the phrase that says it's my imagination and take it for a fact. On the other hand, sometimes when it's something I know a lot about but don't know the answer to a specific question and present my point of view it turns out to be correct or very-very close. I think it's because usually people use common sense when they create something, so knowing the basics and using your comon sense you can figure out what should happen in one or another situation. A great example of this is when you're good with electronics and you open up a TV set and look on the insides, you can figure out what part does what.   

Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 21.01.2013, 19:13    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Haveunique писал(а):

Gra-ach писал(а):
They don't need to remember what lie they told to whom Cool They don't need to frantically search their memory to recall what they said, which in turn leads to being less streesed.

True, making up stories takes space in the brain, and memorizing false stories, and who you told the story to, takes resources you could have somewhere else.

But making false stories - or talking about things you know not too well about - takes energy also when the story is first formed. In addition, that consumes the time to do something else, even though it can power up ones imagination skills.

Gra-ach писал(а):
Talking about talking and keeping silence...
Recently I noticed that even if you tell people that it's not a fact what I said but my ideas of how it should be, they still tend to discard part of the phrase that says it's my imagination and take it for a fact.

Indeed, saying something about a matter makes you choose between one possibility over the other. That is why the people think it's better than just a guess.   

Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 23.01.2013, 18:36    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Procyona писал(а):
Indeed, saying something about a matter makes you choose between one possibility over the other. That is why the people think it's better than just a guess.

It actually makes you think on the matters which you wouldn't have thought on your own. It happens to me all the time at University - my students tend to ask me questions and make mistakes which wouldn't even come to my mind to ask and do Very Happy   

Начать новую тему   Ответить на тему    Список форумов Wing Chun -> Personal growth Часовой пояс: GMT + 2
На страницу 1, 2, 3, 4  След.
Страница 1 из 4

© 2010 Украинское Представительство Всемирной Винг Чунь Кунг Фу Ассоциации. Все права защищены.