Представительство Всемирной Ассоциации Традиционного Винг Чунь Кунг Фу в Украине и по СНГ
Representative Office of the World Wing Chun Kung Fu Association in Ukraine and CIS

What does my gut tell me?

На страницу Пред.  1, 2, 3  След.
Начать новую тему   Ответить на тему    Список форумов Wing Chun -> Personal growth
What does my gut tell me?
Автор Сообщение
Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 16.12.2012, 22:14    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Procyona писал(а):
Gra-ach, don't you think that it may be just a coinsidence that you lost your earrings on the day that you thought about taking them of?

Easily Smile And at that point I didn't connect these two occurrences. On the other hand - it's our attitude and beliefs that shapes the universe around us.
Procyona писал(а):
I'm not saying that I know any better how the universe works; there is so much people don't yet know about, but can you really train a gut feeling based on things that only seem to connect?

Neither do I Cool Very Happy And I don't think that anyone can "train" a gut feeling - it's either you believe in it and follow it or you discard it. But you know, a lot of good deals are done because someone felt that it's a right thing to do. And I do think that this "gut feeling" is your subconscious talking to you based on some calculations and assessment it's done in background while you were doing something else. If I think it's like this, than it can't be always correct. Mostly because I don't have a lot of experience with different things so that my brain can base its calculations on a vast knowledge base.

In a way I can explain why I had a feeling that I should leave my earrings at home:
1. because the lock in the one I've lost wasn't very reliable from the beginning and all the on and off procedures before each training didn't help much;
2. I knew we will do something active.
So if you combine these two points, it's a good explanation why I should've left them at home. But I was arrogant and thought that nothing will happen to them... so I've lost one Confused

Procyona писал(а):
About emotions, I don't think we should not stop listening them altogether, as they are the sings of our inner states. Of cource it's totally different to get aggressive and frustrated, but it's also good to know what those feelings mean and why they arise. Anger is a good tool to defend yourself when treathened. At least for me it's useful to notice my own personal borders, as I have been neglecting myself and doing too much to please others. But I do understand the point of doing rather than thinking, or living in the trumoil of the emotions. Emotions can be good when you have time to observe them, but once you know how to act according to them, it's time to let them go. Wink

Well, anger is definitely not the right tool to defend yourself. When you're angry you're incapable to react swiftly, because your heart starts pounding in your ears and you can't think clearly. That's what I've learnt at self-defence training the other day. Only when you're calm and relaxed you can react accordingly to the situation. And I'm not saying that you should purge all emotions - how you can make yourself not feel love, or happiness, or even hatred. But like you say you have to control them and not let them control yourself. And this is hard, to be the master of your heart.   

Посмотреть профиль Отправить личное сообщение
Сифу Юрий Марченко
Sihing

СообщениеДобавлено: 16.12.2012, 23:40    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Dear Procyona, just my little comment about you say the anger is a good tool to defense ourselves in case of any threat. I think it is not so, because the anger, like an aggression, both comes from fear. They cannot help to us in some extremely situation to act, I underline to act, because the anger has bad influence to our psycho state, disturb us to breath correctly, put us in stress state. By the way, in wing chun trainings we learn to act and controle our state, avoid stresses. That is a very important tool which could be very helpful in our life.   
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 17.12.2012, 13:14    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Gra-ach писал(а):
And I do think that this "gut feeling" is your subconscious talking to you based on some calculations and assessment it's done in background while you were doing something else. If I think it's like this, than it can't be always correct. Mostly because I don't have a lot of experience with different things so that my brain can base its calculations on a vast knowledge base.

Thank you, Gra-ach, I now better understand what you mean Smile it's true that we cannot calculate everything accordingly, but our subconscious does it. It notices thing better than us, and should lead us to the right direction.

Gra-ach писал(а):
And I don't think that anyone can "train" a gut feeling - it's either you believe in it and follow it or you discard it.

Point taken, but you can train yourself listening to it, tuning your 'inner ears' and to understand yourself better. Very hard indeed!

With emotions I stated that anger is a good tool to defend yourself, and I still think so. Anger can give us power to react when we otherwise wouldn't, and if we won't listen to it, it will boil you from inside. This I know from my own personal experience. By using anger as a tool, I wanted to state we should listen to it and understand where it came from, but not directly act by it. Only acting would lead to cathastrofic consequences, but I think that ignoring it as a feeling is not good either. The thing is to let the anger go after you recognise why you where angry.   

Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 18.12.2012, 00:40    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Procyona писал(а):
Thank you, Gra-ach, I now better understand what you mean Smile it's true that we cannot calculate everything accordingly, but our subconscious does it. It notices thing better than us, and should lead us to the right direction.

Something like that Smile

Procyona писал(а):
With emotions I stated that anger is a good tool to defend yourself, and I still think so. Anger can give us power to react when we otherwise wouldn't, and if we won't listen to it, it will boil you from inside. This I know from my own personal experience. By using anger as a tool, I wanted to state we should listen to it and understand where it came from, but not directly act by it. Only acting would lead to cathastrofic consequences, but I think that ignoring it as a feeling is not good either. The thing is to let the anger go after you recognise why you where angry.

I think I see what you're trying to say and if I'm correct I think you're right - anger is a major force. And if you use it for a good reason then yes, it's definitely a tool.   

Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 23.12.2012, 00:37    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Gra-ach писал(а):
No teacher, preacher, parent, friend or wise man can decide
what’s right for you. Just listen to the voice that speaks inside.

- Shel Silverstein

The more often we remember about it and act accordingly, the better! Thanks, Ira Cool

Procyona писал(а):
Emotions can be good when you have time to observe them, but once you know how to act according to them, it's time to let them go. Wink

Emotions are a powerful tool indeed in getting to know oneself. It's like pain that tells us where to look to improve our being.

What do you mean by saying, "let them go", Milla? Be like the emotions never happened? Or how? Thank you!   

https://www.facebook.com/TraditionalWingChunOulu   
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 27.12.2012, 13:27    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Haveunique писал(а):
What do you mean by saying, "let them go", Milla? Be like the emotions never happened? Or how? Thank you!

By letting emotions go I mean not to attach to them too much, or try to force them to be something else. That does not necessarily mean that they did not ever happen, but rather that they can flout around freely, as they are.   

Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 03.01.2013, 18:21    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

I'd gladly keep good emotions during not so good times, because when you have warm memories or positive thoughts - it helps to survive in dire situations.

On the other hand - strong "bad" emotions can lead to wrong judgement or unkind acts towards others. So these emotions should be let go, because they don't bring peace to your soul, but you definitely need to be careful around those people who inspire such emotions in you.   

Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 05.01.2013, 13:38    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Gra-ach писал(а):
I'd gladly keep good emotions during not so good times, because when you have warm memories or positive thoughts - it helps to survive in dire situations.

On the other hand - strong "bad" emotions can lead to wrong judgement or unkind acts towards others. So these emotions should be let go, because they don't bring peace to your soul, but you definitely need to be careful around those people who inspire such emotions in you.

It's true that strong negative emotions can not bring peace, and that positive emotions can confort you, but... I beg to differ on that remark a bit: holding too much even on positive emotions and feeling can blur ones judgement from the actual situations, especially if the feeling is really strong.   

Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 05.01.2013, 22:51    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

There's no point in holding too much on any kind of emotion, but tapping into the feeling of happiness, safety or righteousness may be really moving during dark times.   
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 06.01.2013, 20:58    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Gra-ach писал(а):
There's no point in holding too much on any kind of emotion, but tapping into the feeling of happiness, safety or righteousness may be really moving during dark times.

That is true Smile It's always good to remember that world is not as dark as it sometimes appears to be.   

Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 06.01.2013, 21:18    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

The world is as dark, light or colorful as we paint it for ourselves. I grow to believe the worldview is a matter of habit acquired during our lives. So, just as any other habit, it can be reinforced or created anew by our realization and actions.   
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 07.01.2013, 20:41    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Haveunique писал(а):
The world is as dark, light or colorful as we paint it for ourselves. I grow to believe the worldview is a matter of habit acquired during our lives. So, just as any other habit, it can be reinforced or created anew by our realization and actions.

Thank you for your wisdom, Tetyana, that is very true. As Brad Warner said in his book Hardcore Zen: "the most hardcore question themselves".   

Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 07.01.2013, 23:25    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Haveunique писал(а):

Can't agree more - everything that surrounds us, all situations are neutral, and only our experience, beliefs, expectations etc color them into good or bad.   

Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 08.01.2013, 00:34    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=515909621777303&set=o.176418992463683&type=1&theater
Cool   

Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 24.03.2013, 10:35    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Recently I have noticed that listening to my gut is pretty contradictory: In order to have a direction to go, I need to listen still at the moment. And to know what I want to achieve, I actually have to let go of the idea of achieving anything. It's the same idea with relaxing in the fighting situation, or to have a forward going motion without moving. For me, it's seems that these contradictions are everywhere I look.

Have you noticed the same thing?   

Начать новую тему   Ответить на тему    Список форумов Wing Chun -> Personal growth Часовой пояс: GMT + 2
На страницу Пред.  1, 2, 3  След.
Страница 2 из 3

© 2010 Украинское Представительство Всемирной Винг Чунь Кунг Фу Ассоциации. Все права защищены.