Представительство Всемирной Ассоциации Традиционного Винг Чунь Кунг Фу в Украине и по СНГ
Representative Office of the World Wing Chun Kung Fu Association in Ukraine and CIS

What does my gut tell me?

На страницу 1, 2, 3  След.
Начать новую тему   Ответить на тему    Список форумов Wing Chun -> Personal growth
What does my gut tell me?
Автор Сообщение
Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 11.09.2012, 00:50    Заголовок сообщения: What does my gut tell me? Ответить с цитатой

Цитата:
Intuition literally means learning from within. Most of us were not taught how to use this sense, but all of us know well that "gut" feeling. Learn to trust your inner feeling and it will become stronger. Avoid going against your better judgement or getting talked into things that just don't feel right.

- Doe Zantamata, from Happiness in Your Life

I was thinking of putting this as just a wisdom saying but then decided that it's a nice opening quote for a new topic.

Do you listen to your intuition, to that thin voice somewhere deep in your head that says do this and don't do that? Do you actually hear it at all, have the feeling of rightness or wrongness when you're about to do something? Unfortunatelly, I can't say that I always (truth be told, more like sometimes) listen to it. It's hard to recognise when it's my intuition talking and when caution, or fear, or something else. Though, I can name a number of occasions when I heard it but didn't recognise for what it was Sad My bad call... The last example was this Sunday. When I was leaving home I felt that it would be a wise thing to leave my earrings at home. I can't say why I thought about it at all... But I decided against it and I lost one of them. And it's just the most recent occurance.

Even though I've told myself countless times that I will listen to my feelings, but I fail most of the times. So what can be done to remedy the situation? I don't have an answer from the top of my head. But I believe it takes countless of fails to start feeling what to do, to use all assets that I have at my disposal.

What about you? Do you trust your gut or ignore it altrogether?   

Посмотреть профиль Отправить личное сообщение
Художник

СообщениеДобавлено: 11.09.2012, 09:41    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

good topic,Ira!
thank you for starting it.
Every one of us have this thin voice in our heads.i'm one of them Smile
but not every time i'm agree with it,and listen what it said and doing this.
Sifu,Sihings and instructors tought us "we thinking to much".More action,less thoughts - that's what we got to do.
Sifu said "while you thinking - you're not acting.Thinking is one of to be in past or in future.not in present.action - is a present"
And i 100500% agree with it.i try this on my own.it was a sad experience...but it helps me to undrestand this.   

Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 11.09.2012, 15:18    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Well, the rule "do more, think less" shouldn't be taken at its face value. It doesn't mean that you should cease thinking at all! If you do that there will be no logic in any of your actions. But if you can make the process of decision making very short based on your intuition, experience, beliefs etc that will do the trick. In this case you're acting, but not just blindly doing something. You can support your decision with some reasoning.

I do believe that this intuition thing has something to do with our experience which we may have long forgotten, but it's still there in our head - waiting for the time to emerge and help us.   

Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 14.09.2012, 21:13    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Good one, indeed! Thanks! It's easier to trust your gut once the priorities for heart and brain are already set straight. In other words, when you know who you are, where and for what. Then you just listen to your gut, and it tells you everything... But in order to have the priorities set - one needs to do both thinking and gaining new experiences. It's good to act fast, but sometimes one just needs to sit down and process things, spend some time with oneself.

When the action time and processing time is balanced and feels right, usually this is also the time when life direction is becoming a lot clearer than before.   

https://www.facebook.com/TraditionalWingChunOulu   
Сифу Юрий Марченко
Sihing

СообщениеДобавлено: 04.10.2012, 13:31    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

The intuition is an amazing state of our consiounse, when we act or take decision without general doubts or fears, and achievr the results with easiness and reflexion. As for me, sometimes it is difficult to separate my emotions, the desire to accept things which are not real in this case, so, there my intuition is under my emotional pressure and cannot give me the best feedback. The conclusion is that it is necessary to balance our psychological state, to work to see and accept the things such as they are, without our emotional evaluation. The wing chun practice is developing the intuition and strengthen the pshyco equilibrium of the person, that is a very important point, which the practitioner can get from his trainings.   
Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 12.10.2012, 16:13    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Well, are you saying that we should purge all emotions and become some kind of machines that have just logic as a source of information form outer world? How can one live without emotions? It's what makes us human. It gives us an opportunity to admire music, or architecture or other things which are created as a result of emotional outbursts of creative people.

On the other hand, balancing your emotional responce and logical estimation of what's going on is a good approach to life. Sometimes when your emotions go off-scale it's essential to control yourself - otherwise some things may be said which are better left unuttered. Or things may be done which shouldn't have been. Besides, it's my understanding that when you're calm and unemotional - it doesn't mean that you will follow your intuition - maybe in this case logic will prevail Wink

The general idea of the gut feeling (as I see it) is that you stop thinking (or freaking out) and follow your instinct - human species have survived somehow for several thousand years so there should be something ingrained in our DNA that bursts our survival mechanisms Cool   

Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 12.10.2012, 17:27    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

If you already started thinking, that's not the gut feeling any more Cool It works when you just feel and do how you feel it's right. However, in order not to have second thoughts, one needs to have his or her priorities clear and trust his or herself.   
Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 13.10.2012, 20:43    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

I guess you're talking about more or less major decisions. But if we think about something as mundane as going shopping and before leaving the house you have a feeling that it's not a good idea and you go anyway and end up mugged? What then? You can't foresee something like that, not really... And it has nothing to do with your priorities being straight or curvy Wink   
Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 13.10.2012, 21:16    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

This is exactly what is called - not trusting your inner feeling Smile And whatever the decision is - it's all ours.   
Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 15.10.2012, 00:02    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Yep, whatever reasoning you had to do something (if there was any reasoning at all and you didn't do what you've been told without thinking it over) the decision is all yours and the results are yours as well. The question is not whether you put blame on someone or something else, but whether your gut just tells you something based on what's surrounding you which you may not really comprehend or you have some ability to foresee the future. Like in the example with my earring - it could have happened in any other day, but I felt it the day it happened.

I remember once I had a dream about me wandering around the city, looking for some place and I remember I kicked a little stone. I don't remember how much time passed since I had it. But one day my friend, my teacher and me were trying to find a school where a competition was held and we were late and I kicked this little stone and the same instant my foot touched the stone I recalled the dream and I could tell what would happen in next few minutes - because I'd already seen it in my dream.   

Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 19.10.2012, 15:05    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Haveunique писал(а):
...one needs to have his or her priorities clear and trust his or herself

Talking about trusting yourself and have clear prioritues, here goes the saying:

Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 06.11.2012, 13:54    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

As it was said before, you need to get your mind and heart to work together, to be in unison in order for intuition to work. But we've forgot about one tiny thing, which can actually grow out of all proportion - Its Majesty Ego Smile Smile Smile It's hard to say definitively, whether it's good or bad. Because of it people dream of things and if they act accordingly, they can achieve their goals. As SiFu says, because of his Ego he got acquainted with GrandMaster William Cheung, because of it we have our Academy. If not for that very few people would know about the Traditional Wing Chun kung fu, or about Wing Chun at all. On the other hand, it can be a major force of destruction! Because of our ego, we don't like to hear telling criticism, which may actually help us grow...

So one more thing to get straight is our ego, together with our heart and mind.

Цитата:
Your ego wants to gain from the soul–too eagerly, in fact. Once you turn its attention toward spirit, your ego mistakes it for another race to win, another goal to accomplish, another result to achieve.

In other words, it translates everything spiritual into terms it can understand. There is no escaping this tendency, because until it reaches the end of life’s journey and gets absorbed into the soul, your ego will never stop assuming that the path is for the glory of itself.

“I am enlightened” is just as selfish a statement as “I know how to win.” Your soul is the one thing ego will never win for you.

People are surprised to find a great deal of chaos when they go inside. Not only is the mind restless and wayward, the ego offers its own agenda. Having touched on the ego’s needs to assert its demands, one shouldn’t have the impression that it is an enemy.

The ego has its proper place. The same holds true for the mind with its confusing stream of jumbled ideas, beliefs, desires, fantasies, and emotions. Its chaos poses problems when you try to see your soul clearly, yet the mind has an enormous capacity to perceive reality in new ways.

In their proper place, mind and ego are to be cherished as allies. Remind yourself of this in the long campaign to bring balance back to your inner world. Ego and mind will seem to fight against you, but in truth they harbor their own spiritual goals, not to rule over the soul but to be absorbed in its domain of light.

One of the best ways to allow your ego to be absorbed in spirit is to witness it silently. You do this by just observing your own reactions to situations, circumstances, people, and events. In the mere witnessing of these, you will begin to see a transformation, and a balancing of body, mind, and spirit.

Adapted from The Deeper Wound: Recovering the Soul from Fear and Suffering, by Deepak Chopra

Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 08.11.2012, 11:57    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Came across one more nice saying:

There is a voice inside of you that whispers all day long,
"I feel this is right for me or I know that this is wrong."
No teacher, preacher, parent, friend or wise man can decide
what’s right for you. Just listen to the voice that speaks inside.

- Shel Silverstein   

Иван

СообщениеДобавлено: 14.12.2012, 16:05    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Learning ourselfs helps us to learn the Universe.   
Посмотреть профиль Отправить личное сообщение Отправить e-mail
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 16.12.2012, 19:06    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Gra-ach, don't you think that it may be just a coinsidence that you lost your earrings on the day that you thought about taking them of? I'm not saying that I know any better how the universe works; there is so much people don't yet know about, but can you really train a gut feeling based on things that only seem to connect?

About emotions, I don't think we should not stop listening them altogether, as they are the sings of our inner states. Of cource it's totally different to get aggressive and frustrated, but it's also good to know what those feelings mean and why they arise. Anger is a good tool to defend yourself when treathened. At least for me it's useful to notice my own personal borders, as I have been neglecting myself and doing too much to please others. But I do understand the point of doing rather than thinking, or living in the trumoil of the emotions. Emotions can be good when you have time to observe them, but once you know how to act according to them, it's time to let them go. ;)

Начать новую тему   Ответить на тему    Список форумов Wing Chun -> Personal growth Часовой пояс: GMT + 2
На страницу 1, 2, 3  След.
Страница 1 из 3

© 2010 Украинское Представительство Всемирной Винг Чунь Кунг Фу Ассоциации. Все права защищены.