Представительство Всемирной Ассоциации Традиционного Винг Чунь Кунг Фу в Украине и по СНГ
Representative Office of the World Wing Chun Kung Fu Association in Ukraine and CIS

Unlearning - when to do it?

Начать новую тему   Ответить на тему    Список форумов Wing Chun -> Personal growth
Unlearning - when to do it?
Автор Сообщение
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 19.07.2015, 19:24    Заголовок сообщения: Unlearning - when to do it? Ответить с цитатой

Hi everyone!

I think unlearning is very big part of learning in general. When there is an old way to act, but I want to change it, I first need to unlearn the old way. Also, if I am only doing things the way I have always done it, it prevents me from testing new ways that might be better for me.

But how do you know what and when to unlearn?

I have not found any time when and what I would unlearn, but maybe that I need to keep my eyes open at all times. Especially when some actions do not bring the results I want, I need to let go of the old one.

I want to keep my actions flexible at all times. I think of it as a box of tools: I can test different things, and look for more, but there are some that I use more or less regularly because they work best for me.   

Последний раз редактировалось: Procyona (21.07.2015, 17:40), всего редактировалось 1 раз
Посмотреть профиль Отправить личное сообщение
Faroth

СообщениеДобавлено: 20.07.2015, 20:11    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Hi Milla and thank you for the topic.

So unlearning can be something so simple as to get rid of some old addiction? I had been smoker in the past and I think hardest part in quiting was unlearning the habit. I.e smoke after morning coffee or dinner. Physical addiction wasn't really so hard but some habit what you have been doing for years can be a real pain to get rid off.

I think that it's best to unlearn something you don't wan't keep in your life. The minuses are stronger than pluses.

I think in this case unlearning gives confidence on learning new and better ways to act.   

Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 21.07.2015, 17:36    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Thank you Ville-Pekka. It is the mind that makes the habit, and mind has a way to trick us to want ti back. Very Happy What made you make the decision and cut your smoking habit? How was it not good for you?

At some point, I was eating too much chocolate. Not just once a week, but almost every day and lots of it. The hardest part for me was to acknowledge I wanted to unlearn this habit. My cue to change was that I was not controlling it anymore. Two years with no chocolate what so ever gave some perspective to my habits. Smile   

Faroth

СообщениеДобавлено: 21.07.2015, 18:05    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Procyona писал(а):
Thank you Ville-Pekka. It is the mind that makes the habit, and mind has a way to trick us to want ti back. Very Happy What made you make the decision and cut your smoking habit? How was it not good for you?

At some point, I was eating too much chocolate. Not just once a week, but almost every day and lots of it. The hardest part for me was to acknowledge I wanted to unlearn this habit. My cue to change was that I was not controlling it anymore. Two years with no chocolate what so ever gave some perspective to my habits. Smile

I did enjoy smoking for some time, but in the end it didn't give me what it used to so there came the idea to quit it. It wasn't very beneficial to me, I was sick way more and overall didn't feel very good. Coughing all the time etc.

Nice to hear that you found tools to get rid of a habit you didn't want to keep. Maybe these tools can help you in the future if something similar arose?   

Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 23.07.2015, 19:17    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Faroth писал(а):
Nice to hear that you found tools to get rid of a habit you didn't want to keep. Maybe these tools can help you in the future if something similar arose?

I do not know actually. I have used this approach only for chocolate, I don't know if it works for other things. On the contrary I have found either 1) making yourself overdo what you wish to stop until you absolutely have to stop or 2) be more aware of what you do, and break down the action to multiple actions leading to that action. Then you attack the reason in each action one by one, to escape before you even act.   

Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 23.07.2015, 20:05    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

I mostly need unlearning to ideas and preassumptions. Whenever I think I am master of a subject, I cannot learn more. This feeling is one of my guides to unlearn what I know and listen instead.   
Начать новую тему   Ответить на тему    Список форумов Wing Chun -> Personal growth Часовой пояс: GMT + 2
Страница 1 из 1

© 2010 Украинское Представительство Всемирной Винг Чунь Кунг Фу Ассоциации. Все права защищены.