Представительство Всемирной Ассоциации Традиционного Винг Чунь Кунг Фу в Украине и по СНГ
Representative Office of the World Wing Chun Kung Fu Association in Ukraine and CIS

What does it mean to be an adult?

Начать новую тему   Ответить на тему    Список форумов Wing Chun -> Wing Chun community
What does it mean to be an adult?
Автор Сообщение
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 12.06.2014, 18:40    Заголовок сообщения: What does it mean to be an adult? Ответить с цитатой

Dear forum mates,

a dear friend of mine said that he has become an adult, when he stopped going along with other peoples views. I myself feel like I might be half way there: half adult, half child. I think like my friend said, it's about taking responsibility, and feeling that you can handle yourself.

What do you think? What does it mean to be an adult, and how do you reach the stage? Thank you Smile   

Посмотреть профиль Отправить личное сообщение
Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 22.08.2014, 17:07    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Interestingly, I find that "adult" is one of those words we could easily live without. What does it mean anyway? A child can be aware and responsible about their actions. So is there really a need to define what being adult means? Maybe, maybe not.

If we are to use the term, however, it is indeed taking responsibility (and don't confuse it with guilt or fears, or anything else unrelated) for own actions and being aware. It seems that in popular culture in our society responsibility is more or less defined, and awareness is hopefully entering our lives rather sooner than later...   

https://www.facebook.com/TraditionalWingChunOulu   
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 24.08.2014, 10:13    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Good point about the need for definitions. Maybe being an adult is not one of the most crucial words to define, because it does not mean action (at least for me it doesn't).

For me the words child and adult are not contradicting actually, but that one person can be both at the same time: Being a child is being open to what I am, and enjoying and feeling without too much reasoning.

Tetyana, and all the forum participants, do you think you can take responsibility without awareness? I think not, because then you don't know what you are taking responsibility of.   

Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 27.08.2014, 13:28    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Milla, I think knowing why you do something comes first, and then the rest.   
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 28.08.2014, 17:59    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Do you mean knowing why to take responsibility, why to be aware, or something different entirely, Tetyana?   
Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 04.09.2014, 10:42    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

It's simple, Milla, why complicate it Very Happy whenever there is an action, there is a reason behind it. Do you know it or not? And if yes, does it bring you joy? That's all Smile   
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 16.09.2014, 17:22    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

I must say this confuses me Very Happy being aware of the reason is awareness, right? So which comes first - awareness, or reason? Very Happy Very Happy It's amazing that they can be both there at the same time.   
Художник

СообщениеДобавлено: 16.09.2014, 23:59    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

in my opinion "adult" is to aware the cost of your actions or lack of action   
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 18.09.2014, 19:17    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Thank you Художник, the lack of action is a good point indeed! It is one of the greatest in sights that passivity / lack of action has consequences as well Smile   
Художник

СообщениеДобавлено: 18.09.2014, 21:59    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Everything has consequences )))   
Faroth

СообщениеДобавлено: 04.04.2015, 10:03    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Being an adult is to be responsible of your actions and life. You do what you do or don't do, responsibility is yours.

Never the less, I think it's always good to have a little bit of child within us.   

Последний раз редактировалось: Faroth (04.04.2015, 21:39), всего редактировалось 1 раз
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 04.04.2015, 21:06    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

True words Ville-Pekka. Something we can learn from children I think is to be in this moment. Smile

Цитата:

“Look at children. Of course they may quarrel, but generally speaking they do not harbor ill feelings as much or as long as adults do. Most adults have the advantage of education over children, but what is the use of an education if they show a big smile while hiding negative feelings deep inside? Children don't usually act in such a manner. If they feel angry with someone, they express it, and then it is finished. They can still play with that person the following day.”
― Dalai Lama

Faroth

СообщениеДобавлено: 06.04.2015, 17:00    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Wise words from Dalai Lama.

'Adults' shouldn't suppress their feelings so much as they do. We might feel more vulnerable when we show feelings, but I don't know if that's true. We are not made of stone after all.   

Начать новую тему   Ответить на тему    Список форумов Wing Chun -> Wing Chun community Часовой пояс: GMT + 2
Страница 1 из 1

© 2010 Украинское Представительство Всемирной Винг Чунь Кунг Фу Ассоциации. Все права защищены.