Представительство Всемирной Ассоциации Традиционного Винг Чунь Кунг Фу в Украине и по СНГ
Representative Office of the World Wing Chun Kung Fu Association in Ukraine and CIS

How words shape us

На страницу Пред.  1, 2
Начать новую тему   Ответить на тему    Список форумов Wing Chun -> Personal growth
How words shape us
Автор Сообщение
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 14.11.2013, 14:15    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

And the the words are written, you cannot erase them anymore (if you don't delete the post), so you can always come back to what you have previously thought or said.   
Посмотреть профиль Отправить личное сообщение
Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 15.11.2013, 12:37    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Actually it's very good to write in a long run. After year(s) of practicing you can go back to your first posts and wonder how could you write something like that or marvell that you were such a great thinker even then Smile   
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 15.11.2013, 16:16    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Indeed Irene Smile And also, you might notice that you are going trought the same stuff over and over again Very Happy   
Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 16.11.2013, 01:18    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

True Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

But it means that your point of view hasn't changed Smile   

nmrt

СообщениеДобавлено: 16.11.2013, 11:43    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Gra-ach писал(а):
... marvel that you were such a great thinker even then :)

That's exactly what happens to me most of the time! ;)
But then again, I may be in love with myself more than I should be...
Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 18.11.2013, 11:09    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

nmrt писал(а):
Gra-ach писал(а):
... marvel that you were such a great thinker even then Smile
That's exactly what happens to me most of the time! Wink But then again, I may be in love with myself more than I should be...
Maybe Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy   
https://www.facebook.com/TraditionalWingChunOulu   
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 30.11.2013, 22:08    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Dear forum mates, have any of you noticed that some words are not used in their original context? How does it make you feel.

I know that languages change, but when my teacher used the word 'rape' several times when talking about her editing our texts, it felt very out of context. I had to 'translate' it to editing in my mind Very Happy

Also, using strong words like rape in a different context might change the way we use the word in the future - words that are used more often are not as powerful as some taboo ones.   

Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 01.12.2013, 01:43    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Procyona писал(а):
Dear forum mates, have any of you noticed that some words are not used in their original context? How does it make you feel.
How do we know if they are used in the original context or not? I believe that whatever a person says or does, expresses exactly what they have on their mind... because consciously or subconsciously they choose certain words or actions over others.

Is it really about the frequency of use? Or because of the taboo, Milla? Cool Thank you for your opinions!   

https://www.facebook.com/TraditionalWingChunOulu   
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 01.12.2013, 20:28    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Haveunique писал(а):
How do we know if they are used in the original context or not? I believe that whatever a person says or does, expresses exactly what they have on their mind... because consciously or subconsciously they choose certain words or actions over others.

By original context I mean the one used in dictionaries. But I do agree with you about the words expressing just what we have in mind.

But, I wonder what it means then that people sometimes make mistakes when speaking? Is it that they are thinking of something else than what they are saying? I at least think so.

Haveunique писал(а):
Is it really about the frequency of use? Or because of the taboo, Milla? Cool

Yes, I think it is about the frequency of a person and of a culture. If a person is usually calling taking something stealing, the ones that are around get used to it, and the word loses it's right meaning this way. But, indeed, if it is stealing in the persons mind, then it is stealing to him, even though it does not fit the definition of the word. Tricky thing this language Very Happy   

Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 05.12.2013, 12:52    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Dear forummates, do you think it matters if we use concrete words or abstract words? I appreciate your opinions!

To me using abstract words like love and trust is more difficult, if I don't know what I, or others, mean by it. It's much easier to say I that love apples than I would loose all my shoes rather than live one day without an apple, but the latter tells you so much more.   

Начать новую тему   Ответить на тему    Список форумов Wing Chun -> Personal growth Часовой пояс: GMT + 2
На страницу Пред.  1, 2
Страница 2 из 2

© 2010 Украинское Представительство Всемирной Винг Чунь Кунг Фу Ассоциации. Все права защищены.