Представительство Всемирной Ассоциации Традиционного Винг Чунь Кунг Фу в Украине и по СНГ
Representative Office of the World Wing Chun Kung Fu Association in Ukraine and CIS

Styles of education

Начать новую тему   Ответить на тему    Список форумов Wing Chun -> Personal growth
Styles of education
Автор Сообщение
Артем Лысенко
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 20.05.2013, 11:43    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Gra-ach писал(а):
Sometimes you just need to learn things which other people think you should learn. It's the discussion I'm having with my students every semester: they are asking me why do they have to learn my subject if they don't have a place to apply it at the moment...

That ist the first argument, why the both systems of education are so different european and east-european (post Soviet Union Nations). In Ukraine, for example, the program of education is based on the idea to prepare a qualyfied staff for every possible situation. So, caled "be best at anything"approach. So, the students are familliar with many disciplines but less qualyfied in separate one. At the contrarry, the european students are very meagured with the direction of their education. Like in an old joke:"If i'm specializing in red cars, then i can not help you with you black"Smile Offcoarse, that is only comparative view, still very close to the real life.   

Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 20.05.2013, 13:36    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Artem, I disagree. It depends very much on the place you study at. Profession schools might be less prestigious than research-oriented universities, in any country, but still they give specific knowledge. The difference is in what the students want. In this regard, the American system is quite progressive - students can choose their major after they have started their studies and when they have already tried some courses to see how their expectations and motivation is fulfilled.

European education is good for those who know exactly what they want, before applying. Moreover, to be accepted, one usually needs to have some background in the filed of interest.   

https://www.facebook.com/TraditionalWingChunOulu   
Посмотреть профиль Отправить личное сообщение
Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 21.05.2013, 09:24    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

I see your point, Кот. I can't talk about any other field except for software development, but my experience is that you never know what you may need to know tomorrow (1), you won't have a lot of time to study (2), because there are people who know things you don't, and if you don't know something exists you won't even think about it and you won't use it only if you reinvent the bicycle (3). Considering right now noone really need pure programmers, everyone wants a person who knows the field they are asked to work in and learning all ins and out will take time. And depending on the complexity of the field it may take an unreasonable amount of time. I still remember that in our postal system a package which weighs 3,5 kg is billed like 3 kg package and it's still called 3 kg package. It's strange and at first I couldn't understand why the program I received choses the wrong price tag until I was told this tidbit of information.

I have quite a few examples to prove my point about needing to study broader subjects at university. That's why I think it's called university and not college or something. Besides, it's not like I'm teaching chemistry to programmers Smile I think it's essential to know about existing technologies, especially the recent ones - it will give you advantage when you apply for a job. Especially when there aren't many people who know it.   

Артем Лысенко
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 21.05.2013, 14:10    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Haveunique писал(а):
... The difference is in what the students want. In this regard, the American system is quite progressive - students can choose their major after they have started their studies and when they have already tried some courses to see how their expectations and motivation is fulfilled...

It seems to me, that european and the US cityzens have a great opportunity no enjoy the whole process of study. At the same time, we Eastern Europeans don't have such possibility to CHOOSE the objects of study, only the main direction, except of a few specific objects. That is the big difference in study process.

Sure, we can't forecast the future and know exactelly what should we study today. maybe that is why, the our educational system is based on "everything and nothing at the same time".

Further point of disscussion, there are lot of people who really don't know what they want, not only before the study at the university, but also after!
I've read once a nice idea - to rebuild the whole educational system, regarding to the principle of providing people with knowledge how to get to know them self better. First to understand one own wishes and then project them onto the future life-plan   

Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 21.05.2013, 15:14    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Gra-ach писал(а):
I still remember that in our postal system a package which weighs 3,5 kg is billed like 3 kg package and it's still called 3 kg package.
Perhaps this is why it is important to learn to be honest to oneself, along with the chosen field of liking. Knowing how to apply skills in a context, of course, is the only way one can apply any skills Smile Thus having teachers guide in action, real tasks, not theory, is the best way of learning, to my mind.   
Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 21.05.2013, 15:20    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Кот писал(а):
a nice idea - to rebuild the whole educational system, regarding to the principle of providing people with knowledge how to get to know them self better. First to understand one own wishes and then project them onto the future life-plan

Interestingly, we've had a discussion about this here already with some of the local educators. Seems like a hot topic is rising.
Our Academy is exactly a place like that, only each instructor needs to be the example of what the school stands for.   

Артем Лысенко
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 22.05.2013, 10:12    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Tanya, i meat once a person who is a director of a alternative school education system. It was surrpising for me to meet someone like that in Ukraine. He has established two schools for childrens 8-16 years old. In small groups they get the knowledge based mostly on gaming and roll-modell playing. It differs from the "normal"school system. Here the teachers are youung professinals from various spheres of life. And the main idea is to teach the childrens to develop own strenghts, find solutions and analyze the possibilities. And that is the 85% of all process, Only 15% is to learn educational objects due to the state programme, just to reach the scores at the end of the year by passing the appropriate exams and tests.   
Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 22.05.2013, 10:57    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Artem, it is nice to know such systems have been developing for the past decade or so in Ukraine. Here the revolutionizing approach is to connect students from different fields to collaborate on mutually interesting project. It is something we have been doing out of our own initiative in my previous university, and here it still needs to be established.   
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 22.05.2013, 20:43    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

I cannot say much of how Universities work elsewhere, but in my University we have a tendensy of long days with lectures or laboratories. These days would be much shorter if we were not just taught there by lectures, but with conversations and projects, for which students would prepare and read about the subjects beforehand. This would need a different motivation from the students, but would teach them responsibility of their own learning. Every one chooses to be (or not to be) in the University after all. Smile

About renewing a school system, it's good to teach people to know what they want to be, and that they can work to get it, from early point. Great! People are not carved out the same way, and some are round, some triangular. Forcing triangular shape to a round hole may work if the hole is big enough, but it's not ideal.   

Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 23.05.2013, 15:52    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Procyona писал(а):
This would need a different motivation from the students, but would teach them responsibility of their own learning. Every one chooses to be (or not to be) in the University after all. Smile

Actually, herein lies a problem. Don't know about other countries but in Ukraine it is prestigious to have a universty degree, and not just bachelor's, but master's. So quite a few kids go to university because their parents said so. And they keep "studying" because their parents insist or they want to get their diploma and they don't care at all about what marks they have in it. So they do nothing during semester and then come to exam for the first time and ask to get "E" and tell me tearjerking stories about their life and that they don't have time. On the other hand, people who attend lectures and practices they understand by the end of the course why they study it and how to apply it even if they don't work with such systems.

Кот писал(а):
At the same time, we Eastern Europeans don't have such possibility to CHOOSE the objects of study, only the main direction, except of a few specific objects. That is the big difference in study process.

Actually you can choose from quite a variety (I'm talking about software development here), it's just most of the people don't know what to look for when they apply to university Smile In our subdepartment we have two quite close specialities which differ in several subjects and you can shoose what you want to study. The same goes with different departments and different universities. They all have software development one way or another, but their programs differ sometimes a lot. So people can choose, they just go for reputation and fame instead of quality of study and skill set.

Procyona писал(а):
I cannot say much of how Universities work elsewhere, but in my University we have a tendensy of long days with lectures or laboratories. These days would be much shorter if we were not just taught there by lectures, but with conversations and projects, for which students would prepare and read about the subjects beforehand. This would need a different motivation from the students, but would teach them responsibility of their own learning. Every one chooses to be (or not to be) in the University after all. Smile

I agree with you about lectures and laboratories. But then here you have to be a diligent student from the very beginning. And not go to university just to avoid serving in army Smile And unfortunatelly, there aren't many student (at least in 5th grade) who want to want to do this Sad

Haveunique писал(а):
Gra-ach писал(а):
I still remember that in our postal system a package which weighs 3,5 kg is billed like 3 kg package and it's still called 3 kg package.
Perhaps this is why it is important to learn to be honest to oneself, along with the chosen field of liking. Knowing how to apply skills in a context, of course, is the only way one can apply any skills Smile Thus having teachers guide in action, real tasks, not theory, is the best way of learning, to my mind.

I'm not sure what are you getting at here...

Talking about triangular and square... I don't really understand the idea of starting to study to become an architect and then deciding to transfer to medical. I don't know about other fields, but in my field you have to know a lot of stuff to study my subject. And I can't imagine a person who was studying mathematics do moderately good in databases. But you can do this in Mogyla Academy in Ukraine. So it is possible and people do change their major during studies.   

Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 23.05.2013, 22:24    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Gra-ach писал(а):
Кот писал(а):
At the same time, we Eastern Europeans don't have such possibility to CHOOSE the objects of study, only the main direction, except of a few specific objects. That is the big difference in study process.

Actually you can choose from quite a variety (I'm talking about software development here), it's just most of the people don't know what to look for when they apply to university Smile In our subdepartment we have two quite close specialities which differ in several subjects and you can shoose what you want to study. The same goes with different departments and different universities. They all have software development one way or another, but their programs differ sometimes a lot. So people can choose, they just go for reputation and fame instead of quality of study and skill set.

And because there is a huge variety of schools, not just Universities but trade schools and others, and these schools can have a large variety of possibilities one does not hear about, if does not look carefully. And with so many options, it's sometimes hard to find the exact one you want.

Gra-ach писал(а):
Talking about triangular and square... I don't really understand the idea of starting to study to become an architect and then deciding to transfer to medical. I don't know about other fields, but in my field you have to know a lot of stuff to study my subject. And I can't imagine a person who was studying mathematics do moderately good in databases. But you can do this in Mogyla Academy in Ukraine. So it is possible and people do change their major during studies.

Well, some fields can support each other better than others, but it's always the matter of the combination. In natural sciencies in Finland, you don't need to know that much before starting to stude (just enough to get trough entrance examination). And for instance Biology (my field) can be easily combined to Mathemathics or Medicine, but not that well to History.

With academic studies, in Finland at least, the studies by itself is not that much about learning to know, but learning to search, product and evaluate information and ask right questions. In that sense some base knowledge is needed Smile   

Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 24.05.2013, 17:47    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Procyona писал(а):
And because there is a huge variety of schools, not just Universities but trade schools and others, and these schools can have a large variety of possibilities one does not hear about, if does not look carefully. And with so many options, it's sometimes hard to find the exact one you want.

So are you saying that it's universities', schools', trade schools' fault that students don't pay attention to what they are commiting themselves to? Actually here you can transfer from university to university without loosing your credits if you decide to change your mind. Moreover, you can change your speciality and go from computer sciences to ecology sciences in another university and give your credits and in new university you will just pass exams for credits you're lacking. People just don't care to learn such things or don't want to bother, because it takes a student to do all the running and it's so much easier to blame university and learning system in general.

When I was applying to university I checked programs in different universities and different departments to choose which one I wanted to study.

Procyona писал(а):
Well, some fields can support each other better than others, but it's always the matter of the combination. In natural sciencies in Finland, you don't need to know that much before starting to stude (just enough to get trough entrance examination). And for instance Biology (my field) can be easily combined to Mathemathics or Medicine, but not that well to History.

With academic studies, in Finland at least, the studies by itself is not that much about learning to know, but learning to search, product and evaluate information and ask right questions. In that sense some base knowledge is needed Smile

I guess it will just take time and you'll be at disadvantage, because you will have to find out things others already know and take for granted. And you need to know what questions to ask Smile And it's actually a main goal here to teach kids to study, to ask right questions, to gather information.

Courses here usually base on previous courses which you've already taken. Which means that to study my course, for example, you have to know databases, object-oriented programming, system analysis, architecture and some other subjects. When kids come to my class they are expected to know all these.   

Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 24.05.2013, 22:36    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Gra-ach писал(а):
So are you saying that it's universities', schools', trade schools' fault that students don't pay attention to what they are commiting themselves to?

Not really, but studing is a long period of life time, and sometimes young students do not know what they want until they have tried one option. With so many options available, it's just easier to choose something that does not fit with what you want after two or three years. Changing a mayor, or even field, is not uncommon.

Gra-ach писал(а):
When I was applying to university I checked programs in different universities and different departments to choose which one I wanted to study.

There is different reasons why persons selects a certain school for studying. For me it was both the field and close distance to my home town and friends, but I have heard of people choosing schools only because of friends or family. Non of the reasons are wrong, if you are honest with why you choose it.

Gra-ach писал(а):
I guess it will just take time and you'll be at disadvantage, because you will have to find out things others already know and take for granted. And you need to know what questions to ask Smile And it's actually a main goal here to teach kids to study, to ask right questions, to gather information.

Well, this depends how deep you want to study the subject. With smaller minor studies, one can combine many basic level from variety of fields to his or her main field.   

Начать новую тему   Ответить на тему    Список форумов Wing Chun -> Personal growth Часовой пояс: GMT + 2
Страница 1 из 1

© 2010 Украинское Представительство Всемирной Винг Чунь Кунг Фу Ассоциации. Все права защищены.