Представительство Всемирной Ассоциации Традиционного Винг Чунь Кунг Фу в Украине и по СНГ
Representative Office of the World Wing Chun Kung Fu Association in Ukraine and CIS

Do you practice Wing Chun as a means of self defence?

Начать новую тему   Ответить на тему    Список форумов Wing Chun -> Wing Chun Practice
Do you practice Wing Chun as a means of self defence?
Автор Сообщение
Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 12.10.2012, 02:16    Заголовок сообщения: Do you practice Wing Chun as a means of self defence? Ответить с цитатой

The other day I came across a saying

And today I was asked about "self defense program you are with" and it got me thinking if it is a reason I came to study Wing Chun...

To tell the truth there were several reasons why I came to the Academy, but learning self defence techniques wasn't one of them. Mostly because it never occured to me that I will find myself in a situation where I will have to use my skills in this department Wink Maybe it's my youth speaking or safe life I am living... I don't know and don't really care.

Though, if you asked me the very same question when I was a kid and my brother and I were fighting over a computer or TV I would most likely answer that I came to learn some moves to defend my right to watch TV Wink But right now it's not a prerogative reason.   

Посмотреть профиль Отправить личное сообщение
Сифу Юрий Марченко
Sihing

СообщениеДобавлено: 14.10.2012, 18:37    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

You are absolutely right, fortunately, average person who is not working in any industry connected to risk for life ( military service, body gard ect ) not often may be in real situation. However, wing chun is very helpful in everyday life, where modern person every day meets a lot of stress and fears. So, practicing wing chun you learn to manage your difficulties and act in any situations, even when you think you cannot...   
Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 16.11.2012, 17:07    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

That's true - Wing Chun makes me feel stronger - both physically and mostly mentally. I have a feeling (maybe false) that I can tackle many different obstacles and it really comes in handy right now.   
Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 16.11.2012, 23:11    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Thanks for the topic and comments!

Ira, what do you mean self defense? From whom?

I came to Wing Chun exactly for that reason - to learn to defend myself. When I was asked, from whom, I couldn't really answer )))) Now I see the reasons were completely different, and all I needed was to be honest with myself Wink   

https://www.facebook.com/TraditionalWingChunOulu   
Procyona

СообщениеДобавлено: 20.11.2012, 11:29    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Good point Gra-ach, Wing Chun can be said to be an self defense / martial arts program, but (in my opinion) it goes further with self management
than any other martial arts I have heard of.

I don't practice Wing Chun for self defense either, at least not for the actual physical treats. I would say I practice Wing Chun to become stronger
and to overcome fears. Can I count tackling mental demons as self defense? ;) I think my life is rather safe and otherwise carefree, but you
never know when you'll need real stress management skills. And as Sihing the sills learned can be used in everyday life, too.

Gra-ach

СообщениеДобавлено: 22.11.2012, 21:37    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Well, I can't say for sure what exactly Wong Shun Leung meant by saying self defence Smile But I'd go on a limb and say he meant it literally - as in physical self defence agains physical agression. For example I've heard stories about both boys and girls being attacked in daylight hours and at night by drunk people, mugged, killed without any personal reason. So having a tool that gives you serenity, clear mind and ability to control yourself gives you a huge advantage in such situations. Well, that's what I would expect it to be Wink Personally, I have no idea and hopefully I won't be placed in such situation when I would have to apply my skills.

On the other hand there's a mental assault as well. And it's so much more common - people might want yo to do something for them which you don't actually want to, or put you in a position in which you don't want to be. And I think in this case you may see self defence as a means of "tackling mental demons". It's important to be able to "defend" yourself from verbal assault as much as from physical one.   

Fanda

СообщениеДобавлено: 20.02.2013, 19:16    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

Indeed, started to practise wing chun as a self defence.
As time went I started to wonder many more things inside this interesting martial art. There is lot of useful things inside wing chun for me and I want to learn them. Nevertheless as a self defence is wing chun still on first place.   
Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 21.02.2013, 11:05    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

What is self-defense for you, Fanda? Cool   
Fanda

СообщениеДобавлено: 28.02.2013, 11:42    Заголовок сообщения: self defence Ответить с цитатой

from first common point of wiev it is ability to protect myself or something what is connected with me, against somebody who is going to hurt me or these connected things

from second point of wiev it is ability to protect myself against myself. Maybe it sounds strange but it is connected with self controlling in situation when it is needed.   
Haveunique
Instructor

СообщениеДобавлено: 28.02.2013, 12:03    Заголовок сообщения: Ответить с цитатой

So maybe you mean something different, instead of being on the defensive, Fanda?   
Начать новую тему   Ответить на тему    Список форумов Wing Chun -> Wing Chun Practice Часовой пояс: GMT + 2
Страница 1 из 1

© 2010 Украинское Представительство Всемирной Винг Чунь Кунг Фу Ассоциации. Все права защищены.